Thread: Kicking and screaming while feeding...

Default Kicking and screaming while feeding...

My DS has always fed really well, and still does most the time, except for his last feed of the day before bed. When it comes to his 7 o'clock(ish) feed he will only suck a couple of times and then kick his little legs, arch his back and scream the house down! After a few minutes of distraction (walking around the house) he will take a couple of more sucks then kick his little legs, arch his back and scream the house down, this process gets repeated untill about 9 o'clock (ish). I have tried feeding him from both sides (thinking he might have had a preference), but he still does it on both. He usually ends up falling asleep and going to bed, but then I think he really hasn't got enough milk in those few little sucks. I thought he may have had a sore throat or sore neck or something, but, that feed is the only time he acts like this, the rest of the day and night he feeds well.

Please help, I don't know what to do to get him to feed. Yesterday he fed at 4:30pm, then would not feed properly at his next feed, 7ish (as described above), he then fell asleep aqbout 10pm and didn't wake for a feed till about 2am. If he is not feeding properly at his earlier feed that is a LOOOOONG time to go without a feed.

P.S. He has been doing this for about a week or so.

Maybe he's just tired? Could you try feeding him a bit earlier?
    I don't think he will starve. They usually take what they need.

Yeah I was thinking that he sounds like he's really tired. Oskar does that kinda thing when he's really tired. I would probably try to give him a feed a bit earlier and see how he goes with that. Hope it settles for you soon cos it's quite distressing to deal with a screaming baby... oh he doesn't have reflux/colic or the likes??

Hi,

It is really upsetting when your baby reacts like this at a breastfeed. I was wondering, how often does your baby feed in 24 hours now? Has he been weighed lately? How is that going? I think that the great thing is that he feeds really well at other times. Most babies have a very unsettled period in each 24 hours. A time when nothing you do seems to be the right thing. It could be the culmination of the day's stimulation, and often occurs at a time when your resources as a mother are low - you are maybe tired and hungry yourself.
    Have you had a look at this article? http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...breast-refusal

Warm Regards
    Barb

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Jack is putting on plenty of weight, he has put on almost 2kg since birth,and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies.

Last night he fed really well at 6pm, then we went out for dinner (he slept most the time) and when we got home he fed really well again at 9:30pm and went straight to bed and woke up again at 3am and 7am, so no fussy time last night (of course, after I post it doesn't happen, LOL).
    I think that you are right Barb and it may just be his unsettled time, will see how he goes tonight.

Just thought I would post an update:

Feeding has gone back to normal, no more kicking and screaming, it must have just been a little stage he was going through. Had Jack weighed on Friday and he has put on 410grams in 2 weeks, so definently no supply problems.

So hang in there ladies, these little episodes do pass.

Wow Marlene, that's great news. And what a weight gain!! Excellent work, well done to you both!

Well done Marlene!

We're going through this stage again atm...its so annoying and it makes you question yourself no end. Ours started 3 days ago and there I was thinking my supply had gone to heaven but allas....no he was just being a bugger!
    Ive taken to giving mateauz the dummy when he's in his agro stage. I let him suck on it and calm down then quickly slip the nipple in. It works about 80% of the time. Worse thing now is that he gets distracted easily so you have lots of wonderful things to look forward to like how they play with your hair when your feeding or reach out for your face...ahhh

sorry again well done matie.