Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lactose Intolerance? Who knows...

Jack was diagnosed by our pediatrician as having reflux. In fact, when we went for our 6 week checkup, Jack was sleeping against my chest, and the Dr could hear him wheezing from across the room. He initiated the check up with, "so let me guess - he hiccups, coughs, and sneezes a lot, and when he feeds, he cries, pulls back & squirms". Then he gave him the once over & the conclusion was reflux. I feel much better about this than the GPs assessment.

The poo-test results came back too. Very mild reducing substances, which indicates a minor milk protein sensitivity, but is probably related to the damage being done by the reflux.

Thanks for all your help ladies. I was told to express off some fore-milk every feed to reduce the sugar Jack is getting, and he's been started on Losec.

entreat, that's great news that you have some answers. Although you didn't want to him to have reflux, at least it is helpful to have an idea of what is going on.

I recommend you get your hands on the ABA booklet on reflux - it's $5 from Mothers Direct and has lots of information and tips for managing reflux. Unfortunately this is another area where there is often misinformation. It's good that you have not been told to stop breastfeeding, as breastfeeding is one of the best things you can do. However, in all my reading I've never come across any research to show that expressing of the foremilk is helpful. That sounds like a lot of work and I'm really not sure that it will give you any benefit. All babies with reflux are different, but often they do better with smaller feeds more often so perhaps that might be something more useful to try.

All the best with it hun. It sounds like you are having a really hard time and I hope it settles down soon

Hi,
    Generally all babies are mildly positive for reducing substances. Breastmilk is high in lactose - it's good for the brain. Protein is a different issue. The idea of *expressing off the foremilk' is to reduce the lactose load (not the milk protein load - that is constant) but it is pretty outdated - all breastmilk has lactose in it, and expressing the *foremilk* - we don't know when foremilk stops and hindmilk starts can lead to stressed mums and hungry babies.

The Dr said it was to reduce his sugar intake until the losec kicks in. He said the sugar makes his heartburn/reflux worse (and the fatty hind milk, a bit better), which is why he wants 1 hourly feeds - so Jack gets more fore, and less hind milk every feed. That sugar also causes gas & associated discomfort in his bowels, which is why he has explosive/forceful bowel movements (which is why he's had blood in his poo). Already, his poo is looking better.

The Dr wasn't worried about the reducing substances.

speaking of hungry baby...

thanks again for all your help. I'm so happy I have a diagnosis now.

That's good news hun, makes iit easier when you have something to work with.

The really good news is that reflux is almost standard with new babies and mostly sorts itself out with a bit of time.
    Keeping baby upright as much as possible and for a good 10-20 minutes after feeds can help tremendously. DS had silent reflux but our pediatrician & gp both advised against medication unless it was very serious. I think they also suggested that staying upright would probably be more effective anyway.
    I remember having to sleep sitting upright holding him every night for a few weeks early on - even putting the bassinet on an incline just wouldn't cut it. But then it just gradually got better and disappeared. Hopefully this will be a short-lived phase for you too.

Jack & I have spent a few nights propped up on pillows too. I don't think the inclined bassinet does much... in fact, it probably stops the vomit from coming out, thus burning him on the way back down again. Who knows...

But we had a great day with him in the HAB & me ticking a kazillion things off my to-do list. Including making the lactation cookies... I can see my waist line is going to suffer some damage from them.

Great!
    I've never tried them, but I've heard they're good... sound a bit dangerous to me though

The husband's not complaining about them. He took a bunch to work for his work mates. I bet he doesn't tell them what they're for.

That's classic. Now maybe go and announce they make your boobs bigger or something

He came home from work last night & sulked because there were none left. And his work mates LOVED them... Can't wait to tell them what they're for!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12