Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long term nipple shield use?

Yeah - if I could do it all over again I would definitely give attaching without the NS a better go earlier on before DS (and me) got so used to them. It would be so nice to just plop out my boobs and be ready to do... It can be a pain mucking around with NS, but having said that, it's all I've know, so I'm okay with it.

But like others have said - better to be breastfeeding with NS than not at all! And it is easier than formula or expressing as well .

Well, thought I might brush the dust off this old thread...

Here we are - DS is 11.5 months and we are still breastfeeding with nipple shields. My supply has never been affected, and all in all we haven't had any major problems. I've even managed to b/f in public with them a bit - it's awkward and difficult to be discreet, but it can be done. I just take a nipple shield in a small container with me everywhere in my handbag.
    DS is funny - when he sees the container he gets a smile on his face and says "boo", lol!

I think DS has started the weaning process - he has dropped a couple of feeds - but I'm still hoping to keep going for a while yet. I think in this thread the longest anyone had mentioned was 14 months. Really, I'd like to get to 2 years - but I worry that this may not happen. Has anyone breastfed with nipple shields till 2 years (or close to)?
    The reason I worry is that DS has started actually taking the nipple shield off and waving it around, or throwing it on the floor during a feed - and a few times has even taken it off with his teeth, or used it to chew on cause his gums are sore.
    I think he maybe only does this when he's finished or isn't really interested though, as he does seem to have started weaning a little (and so isn't always fully interested when I offer a feed).

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to update to say - yes, long term nipple shield use is possible. I really haven't found it much of a hassle - it's what I (and DS) are used to, so it's just normal for us.

Here's hoping we can go another 12 months!

Good on you Sterla

So glad it's worked out well for you.

Just last year I saw an article on peoples positive experiences with nipple shield use in one of the ABA magazines. (they send out when you subscribe) Maybe you could check out their website? There was at least one long term NS user in the article.

Best of luck with the 2yr goal!

sterla - well done, that's an awesome effort! It's great to know it can be done, very inspiring!

I used NS's with my DS (only for a few months) and always found them a real nuisance (but we didn't ever have any success attaching without them). As I mentioned earlier, my sister managed to drop the NS's (miraculously somehow!), but I know it's not always that easy - and you are obviously proof that it doesn't HAVE to be done.

Do you have any tips for getting used to using them in public? That was something I always struggled with - how to be discreet and not flash my entire boob in the process of combining nipple, NS and bubba!

Quote Originally Posted by belfie View Post
    Do you have any tips for getting used to using them in public? That was something I always struggled with - how to be discreet and not flash my entire boob in the process of combining nipple, NS and bubba!
    Sure . I always had my handbag nearby with the nipple shield container open so I could get the nipple shield out when needed. I'd get my clothes/bra undone (but still keep covered up, get DS in position, then do a quick maneuver to put the nipple shield on and attach DS. Then I'd just adjust my clothing to make sure I was mostly covered up. Not too hard really .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12