Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mastitis HELP

Unhappy Mastitis HELP

Went to Dr yesterday & got keflex for the mastitis in my right breast. I'm using bheat packs and resting lots (have been in bed all day).

But I'm feeling AWFUL!! Have been taking panadol every 6 hours, but it wears off after b5 hours and my temp goes back up to 38.6. I'm concerned about taking it more often than this because it would exceed daily recommended dose (8 in 24 hours).

Also, friend suggested to me that by feeding non both sided, I may not be draining each boob fully. So I tried leaving him on one boob for longer, and after an hour or so, he was content. I have a ;arge supply and I think I have been producing more milk than he needs (and I guess that by only doing one side, it will reduce my supply a bit). But, my concern is that by only feeding one side, I will not be feeding often enough from the mastitis side.

oh mastitis is awful

Can you express on the sore side? A gentle, gentle massage in the shower may help. Nureophen may also help the temps and the pain.

Have you got someone to help you? I've had it twice and I just went to bed with DD and my DH did all the nappies etc

Hi EZZ

I totally know what you're talking about as I too have mastitis atm. Have been taking Keflex for a week now with no improvement. I have been feeding from the sore side too and OMG its painful. I'm going to try and just feed from that side as of tomorrow and express from the good side to keep my supply going.
    Hang in there hun and I hope it gets better for you(and me) very soon.

I too know the pain of mastitis so I totally sympathise.. Thankfully I only had it for a maximum of 48 hours.. I can't quite remember what I did but I also had an oversupply and a lazy baby to boot I was expressing and feeding.. Expressing and feeding from the same side would just create more so thats no good for now..

I hope it clears up soon... :hugs:

I've got it too! Just wanted to say, I feel your pain!!!

Celsie. xoxox

HI,

sounds like a couple of you will be heading back to the dr. You should be able to take a stronger anaeilgaesic if you need it. It is common to have more milk than your baby can drink at this age, if you find you are feeling full and baby is asleep or wan't take any more, express a bit, just util you are confortble. An icepack or cold cabbage leaves on your breasts feel great and are very soothing. And rest - you are not well!
    I would feed baby on one side for a "longish" time (don't you love how specific we are - not!) 20-30 mins and then, after a burp, offer the other side.
    Barb

HI,

I just wanted to give you my sympathy. I know how it feels...... hope it settles down soon...

Thanks everyone for your support - and I can't believe how many of us have it at the same time!!

Fever has gone, lumps and pain still there. How long does it take to totally clear up?

Hi EZZ,I have a seemingly unknown tidbit that helps prevent mastitis or at least it did for me, I got sore but it never developed. My midwife said to me when ever I got sore place bubs chin on that area and let him suck as thats the strongest point of sucking. A number of mornings my man would wake up with me in strange positions as I lay over bub trying to get the chin positioned right so it may be a litlle strange however it seemed to work and he never refused the offer even if it wasn't a due feed.. I hope this helps for prventing future pain.

I feel so sorry for you all, having had it twice with DS. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I had the same advice as angelwildfire given to me by my ABA member for DD, and I managed to stop it becoming full blown mastitis with heat packs, feeding twice from the one side (but you have to watch the other side doesn't start getting sore too) and resting. Lucky for me the pain was in the bottom of my breast so no acrobatics required.

Angel - I've changed his feeding position this week for exactly that reason. I had 2 lumpy areas - one at the bottom of my breast, and one at the side. The one at the side is easy, but I'm not sure how to position him to drain the bottom of my breast.

Molly - How did you position bubs?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ezz View Post
    Angel - I've changed his feeding position this week for exactly that reason. I had 2 lumpy areas - one at the bottom of my breast, and one at the side. The one at the side is easy, but I'm not sure how to position him to drain the bottom of my breast.

Molly - How did you position bubs?
    Laying bubs on the bed helps with the bottom of the breast, also straddling bubs accross your lap and holding head and supporting back or the football hold.. It just epends where exactly the lumpy part is..I used the bed heaps laying bub down and then just positioning myself around him to get the chin right, sometimes it was pretty funny.. I so hope this helps

Angel - When you say straddling across lap, do you mean bubs is sitting upright?

I can hardly feel the lumps at all today - but boob is still red & sore - is this what normally happens? My antibiotics runs out tomorrow (5 days), so I've filled the repeat - I don't want to stop taking them until I'm all better

hope you feel better soon Ezz

Hey Ezz,
    Yeah it sounds a little strange but whatever works n helps your boobies feel better. Mine did stay red for a bit but it did go.. You will now know the signs to look out for. Hot showers help relieve and help to destress.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Warmth and hugs to you and Bubs

How are you feeling today?

Oh so much better!!! Still a bit painful to feed on that side - but I think that's largely due to the cracked nipple rather than the mastitis. Still sticking with the antibiotics for another 4 days - just to make sure it's all cleared up. Trying to have a bath each day to really soak my boobs & massage them - to check for any lumps. I don't want to go through that again!!

Thanks everyone for your support

Glad things are improving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast