Thread: Medications & Breastfeeding.

Exclamation Medications & Breastfeeding.

I have been given the ok by Admins to post this link to Dr Tom Hale's website.

Breastfeeding Pharmacology

Dr Tom Hale is a Professor of Pediatrics & is very well regarded in the area of medications while breastfeeding. While you can not actually post questions on his forums unless you are a medical professional yourself. But almost every drug you could think of has probably be discussed at one point or another on the forums. So with a bit of time and a cuppa, you could sit down and find the information you have been looking for. If you don't then you can always email Dr Hale yourself. His webpage and forums really has a wealth of information and I thought it would be handy for other to know about.

Thanks heaps for that Fiona. I have had times when I have been unsure if I can have something or not. Usually I just don't. Other times I try to research it myself, but one site will say it's ok, another will say it's not. Next time I'll know where to go!

Quote Originally Posted by tanby View Post
    I just wanted to add that you can post questions fiona, as i posted to him and he answered me. All i did was register, so maybe he has changed that.
    Oh ok, I was just going off the bit he has about non medical professionals not being able to post. Thats great if you can. I guess the key is to just me smart about it & look first before posting as the answers may already be there.

Also, for questions regarding drugs and bfing you can try calling Rodney Whyte at the Monash Medical Centre drug information line (03) 9594 2361 .
    Last edited by Jennifer13; June 26th, 2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added the area code (assume it's Vic!)

LactMed Search

Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) - A peer-reviewed and fully referenced database of drugs to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed. Among the data included are maternal and infant levels of drugs, possible effects on breastfed infants and on lactation, and alternate drugs to consider.

Default Do I have to wean to take this medication?

If you have been told to wean to take medication or have a medical procedure, this article is for you. Many mums who have been told to wean don't need to - you could be one of them!!
    RACGP | Breastfeeding - Evidence based guidelines for the use of medicines

Thanks MR!