Thread: Need help to get ds to poo

Default Need help to get ds to poo

DS (who is almost 4 months) has been having very long stretches between his bowel movements. We are waiting for one as he hasn't had one since Saturday.
    He usually goes about 2 days and when it comes it involves an entire change of clothes as it is quite liquidy and goes right up his back. He is fully bf and fed on demand.
    Is this normal? He seems to often be in a bit of discomfort, wriggling and squirming and then he'll pass some smelly wind.
    What can I do to help him? Could it be something I'm eating?

B/f babies can go for long periods without pooing. My little one has gone a week - and she is doing the smelliest farts and I am waiting on a number 3 situation any minute now!! She gets quite uncomfortable towards the end of the long period and does do a whopper eventually.
    It's totally normal. As long as he's having plenty of wet nappies.

I was reading that there isn't a huge amount of waste product in breast milk - hence the lack of poos at times. They just use it all up!!

Sue x

Default Need help to get ds to poo

Thanks sue. It's so abnormal to me because his sister used to go every single day like clock work.
    I just hate seeing him in so much discomfort, he isn't even sleeping propely during the day cause the discomfort is waking him

Can you give him a bath? let him kick his legs, rub his tummy clockwise, 'bicycle' his legs

Kellie, as the others have said, this is quite normal. Not all bf babies will do it, but some will. As long as the poo is soft or runny when it comes, it is not constipation so it's all good (except when you have the poo-splosion that is!).

thanks everyone, I kind of expected that it was normal, but its so hard seeing him so uncomfortable!

Mantaray - I know what you mean about it being all good until the poo-splosion comes... it always seems to come when we are out too and its so much harder to deal with!

BTW - we are still waiting!

Hehe, we are too Kellie!!