Thread: Oh oh - One is bigger than the other.....

Question Oh oh - One is bigger than the other.....

Hi all, I have a problem - my left breast has decided to take a Pamela Anderson style image while my right one remains more dignified! I am sure it's my fault. I express and BF my DD and I've been expressing about 240mls each morning from the left breast and feeding her from the other. I just never thought that of course she wouldn't be taking that much milk from my right one and just figured I was emptying the left and she was emptying the right. I do try and express the right after she has finished but nothing comes out so I thought it was empty. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks and just in the last few days leftie has gotten massive. Plus, I have noticed I am not able to express as much from my right breast as normal. I generally express 170mls at around 10am and only 40mls of that came from the right side today! The left one is happy to compensate but I feel like I am making the problem worse.

I still want to/need to get the same amount of milk, I just want to even up the supply from each breast.

Any ideas/suggestions/thought?

Thanks so much in advance.

Sorry no advice for you, but what a mental picture I have Pamela Anderson one one side

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some actual advice not just to giggle Here's hoping you can get Pammy settled down ASAP.

I don't think its uncommon for one side to produce more milk than the other. My right breast is bigger than my left (although not by as much as you've described) despite the fact that I found it more difficult to feed on the right for the first few months. On the other hand, I've always had more issues with blocked ducts and mastitis on the left.

Sorry I'm not much help either. Maybe you could try alternating which side you express from each morning.

At least Hannah didn't pop in and laugh at you I felt bad last night after I posted, I didn't mean to make light of your problem, I apologise if I offended you.

I think Hannah has the right idea I don't do a lot of expressing but the few times I have I have alternated sides and didn't have any problems with lop sidedness.

After I went to bed I thought that you could have even been really engorged on the "Pammy" side and in pain and I've come in and just cracked a joke, I apologise again! I didn't offer any advice because I don't often express but I would try alternating if it were me.

Thanks ladies Sometimes I get so bogged down in all this Mummy stuff that advice that seems so obvious after I read it just won't come naturally to me when the problem is at hand so I appreciate your answers.

Don't worry Willow, I wasn't offended AT ALL LOL

Yesterday and this morning I expressed off both boobs in the morning and fed her from both sides. I wasn't able to get equal amounts from both breasts but I am sure if I keep up with it, I'll be able to get righty to come to the party. My left breast is still looking a bit bigger but not so "Pamela like" anymore so yay!!

I've always been able to express more from my left side, and it is the side that will get bigger quicker and leak ridiculously
    My suggestion would be to try expressing less from the left side... maybe feed from the left and express the right side at the same time as she is feeding - you may get a better let down and bub's are magic at settling down an oversized boob

as a side not - when my milk came in, I put Dolly and Pammy to shame! but I did have engorgement to the extreme, even by the 3x LC experiences

I always feed and e express from both sides, my left boob is bigger but i always get more from the right - go figure! Feeding and expressing from both sides should help.

I think you'll find its reasonably common hun. I'm expressing full time for my DD and my lefty is my power boob, righty is very slow. Even when both boobs are emptied my lefty is almost twice the size of righty, just going to be the way I think for me. Our bodies are not symmetrical so one boob usually has more ducts and milk producing bits than the other. Sometimes no matter how much you even out expressing/feeding etc. there is always going to be a difference IYKWIM?

DP gets a giggle out of mine too!