Thread: Over supply

Default Over supply

I have a lot of milk, too much I think. When DD attaches, let down is almost immediate and within a second or two she is choking, sputtering, and pulling away upset, as milk gushes out all over the place. Sometimes instead of coming off completely she clamps down on the end of my nipple and trys to drink while fussing and squirming and hurting me.

She was also getting really gassy and had greenish poop so I have been trying to feed her off just one breast per feed to try and reduce my supply a little and to make sure she is getting to the hindmilk, but it's only helping a little. Her poops are now mostly yellow again, but she has multiple cluster feeds in a day and so my supply is still quite high. I feel like she's not feeding long enough at each breast but she pulls off on her own and then won't go back on the same side and wants the other breast. She'll fuss to be fed (grunting and rooting and sucking on clothes) but then often when I put her to the breast she just plays with it. Some days she sleeps all day and others shes awake and eating hourly. Just not sure whats going on or what I should be doing.

It should settle down. Ive had the same problem but only in the last week it has started to settle. In the mornings though, as soon as I expose my breast there is a lovely stream of milk squirting DD in the face and I have to quickly shove it in her mouth.

Can you try expressing before a feed? Especially in the morning - when your supply is greatest. Expressing a bit before she starts feeding should relieve some of the supply so she can feed properly.

It should settle soon - but it may still take a few weeks. I think they say around 6wks your supply will match her demand, at the moment its still a bit all over the place. Be patient, persist, you will get there.

Do you burp her when she pulls off? If you give her a good break, burp her well, she might be happy to try the same breast again?

As the others have said, this is common in the early days, and for most mums eases at around the 6 - 12 week mark. If it is not causing Paige discomfort, it's not really a problem - except for your sore nipples when she clamps down. As has been suggested, some mums find that expressing until you get the first let down and then attaching can help, as the flow is usually slower after that. Another idea is to feed in positions where gravity helps slow the flow, such as leaning back in a chair, or lying on your back. This is particularly helpful in the morning when your flow is the fastest. If you do feed while lying on your back, it is recommended that you sit up before the end of the feed to help the breast drain properly.

It is all very confusing and new at first and it sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Twin sister - everyone has already given you such good advice, I will just offer you some support. I could have written this post 8 weeks ago and now my DD is 10 weeks. I still seem to have an oversupply but I am more used to it now and so it my little one, we are both learning together. I still do one sided feeding (with the exception of an occasional afternoon feed) and it works well for us. You are doing such a wonderful job BF your baby, clearly she loves being on the breast! Hang in there - things can only get better from here.

Thanks so much guys, we will just hang in there I guess. I will try expressing a little before the feed to see if that helps (I was worried that would increase my supply further). I do try leaning back, it helps a tiny bit, but she can't latch on if I'm on my back and cries in frustration. I get so full I leak like crazy and have to change my shirt, bra and breast pads multiple times a day. Looking forward to this settling down!

Hi hun, expressing (for comfort and just a little bit) shouldn't affect/increase your supply atm. It's mostly hormone-driven for at least a few weeks.

Did you have the same issues with Cameron? When did your supply settle down with him?

Sounds like you are doing a great job reading your little girl and trying to make sure you don't drown her! Feeding on demand is about both nutrition and comfort for such a little bub.

The early days with Cameron are kind of fuzzy. We had MAJOR attachment issues with him so all I remember is the pain. I'm sure it took a few months to settle my supply though so yeah I guess I just have to wait it out. Things were a little better yesterday thankfully.

So kind of funny. It was so hot here last night I decided to sleep topless. Woke up in the middle of the night wondering why it was raining on me. Sat up and realized both breasts were leaking like fire hoses and spraying everywhere. Tonight it's back to sleeping with a bra on lol.

I found sleeping on a couple of towels and with my chest under a towel was the best way to control the milk-flood. I also bought a few lengths of polar fleece fabric and used them instead of my doona, since they could be washed and dried very quickly. It did settle eventually - in about 6 months.....

I had a soaker pad under me but I guess I rolled over in the night. I should get a bit of fleece though so I have a spare.