Thread: Painful cyst in nipple

Default Painful cyst in nipple

Last year before I fell pregnant I was diagnosed with a sebaceous cyst in my left nipple, about the size of a grain of rice. It did not hurt at all.

Recently I have started leaking colostrum, and now this cyst has gotten heaps bigger (about the size of a five cent coin) and is hot / burny and tingly. Is this a problem, or is it just colostrum forming?

Not sure if this thread is in the right place...

It might be worth seeing a Lactation Consultant about this one - it does sound like there is some inflammation going on too. Maybe colostrum is backing up behind the cyst and is unable to be released (blocking the duct). A GP could also stick a needle in and drain the cyst. I have had this done a few times with various sized cysts in my breasts. I had an ongoing problem after recurrent mastitis and at one stage developed a cyst the size of a 50 cent coin in my right side. Not fun. It was affecting my letdown and I worried about it putting pressure on the surrounding ducts. It got better quickly after getting it drained twice.
    All the best - hope it feels a bit better soon

I was going to suggest a GP draining it too, seeing if that helped.
    A LC may be able to help too.

Thanks Bronners. I might show my GP and ask him to drain it, because the heat in my boob is increasing. Hot showers and massage didn't seem to budge the lump.

oscaroscar, do you have any flu-ey type symptoms? It sounds like you have mastitis. Mastitis is not only something that occurs in bfing mothers, so I think you would be best off getting it checked out by your GP and having it resolved.

I also would get this checked out - and sooner rather than later. I would say it could be a blocked duct, or even mastitis. Let us know how you go.

Can you get mastitis from colostrum, or only from actual breastmilk? I do feel a bit fluey, but we are coming into the cooler months and I am 8 months pregnant LOL.

You can get mastitis when you are pg, although it's not common it can certainly happen. I think it would be best to see a doctor today if you can (why do these things always happen on weekends and holidays?). If it is mastitis you will need abs.

Thanks Manta Ray. I'm a bit hesitant to see my normal GP because he seems unknowledgeable about pregnancy related issues . Do you think a midwife would be better? I can call them and get an appointment as soon as I can. I do think its weird that the cyst is larger (and hot!) now that my colostrum is leaking.

Hot is definitely a sign of mastitis hun, so please don't delay. A mw should be ok except may not be able to prescribe abs - I'm not sure about that. I had mastitis in hossy with DS1 and the mw told me the red was in the wrong place, but I would think that most mws would know about mastitis. GL hun, I hope you find someone who can help you.