Thread: Please help me :-(

Default Please help me :-(

We went for our 6 week check-up last week and i scored very low on the pnd test thingy, and need to go on antidepressants and valium for anxiety, but i DONT want to. I dont feel i need them, i know i would never hurt myself, DS, DP or anyone, i dont have suicidal thoughs, im just sort of sad and its only right before bed time when im relaxing sort of thing? I reaaaaly want to keep breastfeeding, i've stopped now for 3 days but i have no engorgement anymore but there is still milk coming out if i squeeze. Please someone tell me i can get my milk back? I wont be taking any medication as i dont feel i need them, i feel ok really, just really tired and the valium just makes me even more tired and i dont think i need anti depressants, i just need to talk to someone, which i am doing tomorrow. Is there anyway i can get my milk back if i pump every two hours? He refused my breast at 6 weeks, as we were going out all the time and i would express my milk for him and he decided he liked the bottle better lol which sort of suits me better. I reeealy want to get my milk back is there any chance? Im kicking myself for stopping :-(

It sounds like maybe you need to speak to a different doctor about how you're feelign and whether you really need treatment. Hope the talk tomorrow is helpful to you.

I'm pretty sure there are medications for pnd that are fine to take when breastfeeding anyway. In regards to the breastfeeding side of things, I recommend you call the ABA and get in touch with a lactation consultant who can come to your house and talk you through everything. They may even have strategies for getting yoru DS back to the breast, if you want to try that.

3 days is not long, so you won't have lost your milk yet anyway, though your supply will have dropped probably. How old is your DS? It may be that your supply has settled at this point and that is why you're not engorged or anything. It should be possible to get back into it - start pumping right away and do it as often as possible. Will he take the breast at all? It is generally more effective than the pump. Otherwise, just try and have lots of cuddles, as that can also help stimulate supply.

All the best~~

Don't worry it's not too late to be able to build up your milk supply as you have only stopped feeding very recently. As you know, breastmilk is best for your baby so if you can continue to feed him breastmilk whether it's from breastfeeding or expressed breast milk, that really is the best start for your little one. It sounds like this is what you want anyway good on you. If i was you, I would seek the help from a child health nurse who is also a lactation consultant.... or just a lactation consultant, however they do charge for their time so depending on what you can afford too. They will be able to help get you back on track with the breastfeeds and show you ways how to get your little one interested in it again.

Your little boy is taking a liking to the bottle because the teat allows the milk to flow much faster than a nipple does, hence he doesn't have to work as hard to get any milk out, as he would if he was on the breast/nipple.

Keep offering him breastfeeds and express regularly with a reliable pump and this will help increase your milk supply again. Offer him breast first then the bottle if he still seems unhappy after that.

As for what prescription drugs are safe for when BF, definitely see an LC about that or your GP as they will be able to give you all the info you need

Thank-you, he is 8 weeks on friday gosh thats gone waaay too quickly for me! I would eventually like to get him back on the breast, im talking to a phyciatrist tmoz and will ask him if its possible to not take medication, atm i am expressing and have gotten about 50mls off one breast, im happy with that! Dont like the idea of throwing the gold out though lol as i took 1 valium yesterday so i want to make sure its completly out of my system before i start giving him expressed milk, i am quite confident now that i will get my milk back if i try my hardest :-)

Emma, this thread HERE contains contact info to find out more about medications and breastfeeding. Most medications are actually safe to continue taking while breastfeeding.
    The entry on valium (on Dr Hale's breastfeeding & medication site) says discontinue for 24 hours, then ok to start breastfeeding again.

Emma, it sounds like you are having a hard time I recommend you call the ABA 24 hour toll-free helpline on 1800 mum 2 mum (1800 686 2 686, drop the last 6 for VOIP). They can talk to you about increasing your supply again (feeding frequently is the number one thing), and also have a fantastic booklet about breastfeeding and PND which costs just $5. Even if you do need medications, there are many PND medications that are safe while breastfeeding. THe link marcellus posted is very helpful also.

Take care hun.