Thread: poo frequency concern

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Default poo frequency concern

DS is 8 weeks tomorrow and fully breast fed. He has about 8 feeds a day and has a wet nappy at each feed. He was pooing at least a couple of times a day, but in the past week or so has slowed down and some days doesn't do one. Is this normal at this stage? I can't remember from DS1... The consistency has definitely changed and it's thicker and smoother looking now, not the earlier really really watery with little splotches of 'cheese'. I realise that later on bf babies often go a number of days between poos, but is it normal at 8 weeks?

Sounds normal to me. Pie was going a week or more between poos from a very young age & hers actually got more frequent when we put her on solids at around 6 months.
    I would say if he's feeding well, plenty of wet nappies & he seems happy, all is well

THey do tend to slow down from the 2-month mark (or there abouts). As long as he's still having lots of wet nappies and the poos are not formed, then it's most likely fine.

I agree with the other, sounds very normal to me. Get ready for the 'poosplosion' though!

As long as there are still at least 5 wet nappies a day and he is still gaining weight it sounds all good. 12 weeks or later is a more common time for poo frequency to slow down, but it can happen at 8 weeks-ish. Also note that weight gains usually slow down at around the 3 month mark.

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    I agree with the other, sounds very normal to me. Get ready for the 'poosplosion' though!
    O we're ready for the poosplosion... DS1's first one coincided with a long car trip and there was absolutely nothing open at the time so we had to unpack the back of the car and change him as best we could on the side of the road! Needless to say we take extra cloth squares, lots of wipes and extra clothes with us everywhere with DS2. This time it's the chucking that's caught us out - I'm not used to needing a whole extra outfit for myself! I need a bigger bag! lol

Is it OK to steal this thread just a little?

MY DD has just recently started going through the same thing as your DS....poo frequency is less.... BUT

When she needs to do one, she is in pain....poor little thing just wants to get it out....she is a squirmy wormy, cries (LOTS) mostly during the night when I want to sleep! Then when the poosplosion hits, she is happy as a pig in *well you know *

Anyone have any tips to help soothe the little tummy of a bunged up baby? I feel awful I can't help her. I pat and rub and soothe to the best of my ability!

To what extent is the frequency drecreasing Yules? Everything else look ok?
    If there's any doubt, the first thing I'd try is getting a bit more milk into her. If that isn't an issue, then you could try massage, moving the legs, or even brauers-type stuff. She'll most likely get over it once she's a bit bigger and her gut's more developed, though.

Lewis's Mummy, your little guy sounds like he's doing brilliantly, as long as he's happy and gaining weight. Great job! Gotta love those poo-splosions, my DD went for a record 17 days at one point. Thank goodness we were at home at the end of that run!

Yules, your DD is a little young to be going long between poos. How is she otherwise? What have her weight gains been like? Is she alert and weeing frequently? Is there anything that's changed in your diet before you noticed this change in her?

Everything else seems OK....she will do poosplosions during the day, its night time that she cant seem to get them out. Last night I didn't have tea or chocolate (my vices) and it didn't really do anything. It's almost like her 'witching hour' is a few hours too late.

Her weight gains are fine I think....was 3.1 at birth and weighed 4.4 at her 6 week check. She feeds like a trooper and my milk gushes and squirts....could that be some of the problem? Maybe gulping too much air? Maybe I should try another feeding position?

She feeds 3 hourly (give or take) around the clock. Last night I unwrapped her and stretched her out....did the bicycle with her legs and it didn't really do much. She will fall asleep, then all of a sudden tummy crunch and WAAAAAAA.

Is the brauers stuff any good??

As long as she's pooing during the day it doesn't sound like there's any problem. Have you tried sleeping with her at night - it might help to settle her? It sounds like she's more unsettled than anything, might not have anything to do with pooing? It can be incredibly tiring dealing with a nb, and you have a toddler to run after too!

Yeah, not so much a poo problem I guess Hopefully the nights settle down for you soon

Lewis' Mummy - LOL! DD wasn't spewy either so I'll get a rude shock if our next baby is as my nappy bag is full enough too with all her stuff! I'm lucky I have room for a lipstick in there, LOL!

Yules - could be wind. Have you tried Infants Friend or Infacol before a feed? I also used Brauers Colic Relief on DD and that worked a treat

Yules - not sure if it's the same or not, but Pie used to go ages between poos from a very young age (like from about a week old she only went every 7 - 10 days). When she would do them she was obviously in discomfort, she would cry & cry until it was over. She definitely wasn't constipated, they were normal consistency... I had her checked by the GP , LC etc & all said she seemed otherwise fine & to basically wait it out. Seemed like the length of time bewteen poos was making her uncomfortable, LC suggested the sensation of it starting to move was unpleasant?
    We tried Brauers, Infant's Friend, massage (clockwise around the abdomen) but the only thing that really made a difference was when she started solids just before 6 months & all of a sudden she was going every day or two.
    Not sure if this is the same as your situation, but thought I'd put it out there.