thread: Redness on breast - first sign of something bad??

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

Redness on breast - first sign of something bad??

I've been having attachment issues with DD2 (9 days old) - I think I've got one side attaching ok now but one side is definitely still causing me grief.

The last few feeds I've noticed the skin from my nipple to about half way up my breast is pink - the first time I though DD2 must have rubs her arm on me while she was feeding - but it's been the same for another 2 feeds now. it isn't sore to touch at all but because my milk hasn't settled yet so both breasts are feeling kind of full and tender.

Is this the start of something bad? A blocked duct or mastitis or something? Anything I should do to try and avoid it?

I really don't want to wake up in the morning in more pain

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Jun 2009

Quite likely is. My midwife said mastitis (in the early days) starts as a flushing of the skin before it really kicks in. You need to get that breast drained. Use heat before a feed to get things flowing, and cold after to reduce swelling. Rest, rest and more rest. Feed from that side first each time tip it settles (but keep an eye on the other side). Don't go crazy with expressing as well as feeding or you could set yourself up for more problems with oversupply.

Nurofen is great as it helps with pain and reduces swelling.

Hope you have a good night of sleep - well, as much as you can!

Jan 2011

Is it tender bruised feeling? Could be the beginnings of mastitis.

I second what surprised said.

Also, start on massive doses of vitamin c and taking raw garlic will help.

Mar 2011
    Brisbane's Southside

Thanks so much for the advice!

I had just finished a feed before I posted this thread so couldn't get her to drain the breast before I went to sleep. Instead I had a hot shower and tried hand expressing a bit - when I woke up for this feed there was no redness at all to start with but it's come back while I have fed. I have swapped her around to be in 'football' hold this time and I got her attached right!! so hopefully she has draining it well now.

Here's hoping I've nipped it in the butt!! Thanks again xx

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.