Thread: Reducing breasfeeding pain while pregnant

Default Reducing breasfeeding pain while pregnant

I'm now 16 weeks pregnant and DS (15 months old) is still breastfeeding, although no where near as much as before because my supply has dropped dramatically. He feeds 3-4 times a day. In the last couple of weeks my nipples have become extremely sensitive and it feels like someone is stabbing me with knives and pins when he starts to feed. It gets a little better as he feeds, but at the beginning it's painful enough to almost bring me to tears!

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to try to reduce the pain? They aren't cracked and they don't have any physical signs as to why they hurt so much, so I'm guessing it's pregnancy hormones making them super sensitive. Perhaps the baby already doesn't want to share, lol.

Is it any better if you squirt a bit by hand first so you don't get the really strong initial sucking??

Default Reducing breasfeeding pain while pregnant

I had the exact same thing. It eased but didn't stop until DD weaned herself when I was about 32wks.

I think you're right, it is hormones making it more sensitive.

Stick with it. If you can!

Kmn, unfortunately expressing a bit at first makes no difference.

Thanks for the support OP. I think I'll just have to grin and bear it, lol He definitely still wants it at this stage and I'd love to tandem feed once the baby comes, so I'm happy to keep going.

I really realllllly hope that the pain eases soon because it's becoming more and more excruciating. Especially the left breast. When DS feeds on that side it hurts so much I feel like I can't breath!