Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: relactating??

Default relactating??

Ok so I've read it's possible...but how hard is it??

I stopped BF at 6 wks and DS is now 14wks. I still have a clear fluid I am able to express from one breast (just!) and a milky fluid just from the other.

The reasons I stopped were I was sure my supply was suffering and DS was just SO content on FF .

So IF we do relactate is it going to be possible to get a good supply going??

absolutely possible!

Pop in to see your GP and get some motillium which will boost your supply but you will need to express and feed a lot to get a good supply happening.

Does your ds still have an interest in sucking on the nipple?

I dunno, I haven't tried him yet......

I had so much trouble expessing before.....I used to get hardly anything! But I guess Motillum would help that??

So do I just try to BF him before I normal FF and hope that gets it all going??

Motillium will most definitely help build up a supply and get a great let down happening.

Yep i would offer him the breast before the bottle but also express after each feed to get things happening

I found Motilium amazing and a life saver!!! I had a very dwindling supply, took my first tablets wednesday night, and woke up thursday full and sore and leaking!!!

I was on a higher dose than recommended though. Good luck, I hope it works!! Kane never nedded another bottle of formula from the friday after i started!!

The best way to help the drug work is to plant your bubba on the boobs ALL the time till supply picks up.

It would be worth hiring an electric pump for at least a couple of weeks too... it's SO much easier and more effective with a low supply. Good luck!

Hi,

Good on you for exploring the possibility of relactating. It is certainly possible to regain a good milk supply - milk supply and go back to fully breastfeeding - it's not that long sicnce you breastfed. I don't think anyone promised "easy" I guess it depends on what your definition of "easy" actually is!.
    It can't hurt to gently put your baby back to the breast, everyone's suggestions have been good ones. But don't set off on the journey without a roadmap and a guide. Get a hold of ABA's booklet "Expressing and storing breastmilk" and contact your local ABA group for support.
    It might be good to think back over what your original thoughts were about breastfeeding. I mean this kindly, but if it was important that your baby was very settled, then what is different now? Is that not so important to you? Does your partner know how you feel and will he be supportive? Just a few things to consider.
    Regards
    Barb

Thanks, I think I'll need luck.....I make a terrible cow! lol I just hope with all the stress and tiredness behind me I have the strength to make it work!

Thanks Barb, all good things to consider, TBH they are all the things stopping me from jumping headlong into it!

One question....Im not a ABA member so am I still able to get help?

Of course you can get help from ABA - anyone is welcome to ring the helpline.

Regards
    Barb

Gave him a go on the breast....he hasn't forgotten However he lost interest once there was no milk coming out!

The more he keeps having a suck the more you'll start making milk

Just saw the GP and got motillium She called the LC at the hossie to check too. Going to make an appt. to see them too. Fingers crossed!

Best of luck Bec!

SG
    xo

Thanks SG and everyone! I'm feeling very positive it's going to work, I just have to put the hard yards in!

morgan78 Guest

Great to hear your DS hadn't forgotten how good mummy's boob is seriously though this will make your journey a fraction easier.
    Best of Luck with it

You sound like you're off to a great start. I'm so impressed and happy for you Bec. Look forward to hearing how you go

best of luck bec
    you go girl!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast