Thread: Should you ever offer solids before a Breastfeed?

Default Should you ever offer solids before a Breastfeed?

I am putting this question out there to because I have just returned from DS2's 7 month MCH check-up, and I was told to offer solids before a breastfeed because he won't eat if he has filled up on milk.

DS2's weight, height, health is all totally fine. He b/f's once or twice per wake time, and once or twice at night. You know, just normal 7 month old baby stuff!

He is happy to shove various foods into his mouth, but he does not 'eat' a lot. Stupidly, this is what i told the MCH nurse. I should have seen her comment coming I challenged her comment but was put in my place, and decided to just ignore her (so i could get home for my morning cuppa!)

I have no intention of offering food before b/f, because i know what i want to do and what is right for us, BUT i am curious if there is a reason/circumstance where we should offer solids before milk?

It probably depends a bit on the baby - but I just gave DD solids when I was eating and never took into consideration whether was before or after a breastfeed - it didn't seem to make any difference, at 7 months she wasn't really "eating" much (we are doing BLS) and she would gum on food as happily right after a breastfeed or before one. I am sure was in the BLS solids book I read that babies that age have no concept that food will take away hunger (they need to start eating it properly to learn that) so the idea that they need to be hungry to eat solids doesn't really work because they don't "know" that the solids will take away the hunger. Gradually over time through playing and exploring the food they learn that. Now she is older I don't offer her cows milk before eating because that does fill her up a bit, but for her anyway she will still eat directly after a breastfeed - is meant to be very easily digested so I just don't worry about it.

At 7 months, no, I wouldn't be offering solids first. Milk should still be the main source of nutrition and you don't want to compromise that. Your nurse doesn't understand this rather important fact, I guess - babies get more from milk at this age than from solids.

i was always told "foods for fun until you're one" which i took to mean BF first and food later, as the advice given to me was the milk was more important than the food. Hope this helps

Lenny, how frustrating for you!

You are totally doing the right thing, but I think it's a valid question. I would say that in some cases after 12 months it might be useful to offer food if eating is not going well. However TBH I don't think breastmilk is nearly as much of a problem with suppressing appetite for solids than dairy based milks like formula and cows' milk. In some cases offering certain foods such as meat before other milks (not breastmilk) might be a good idea before 12 months, but this would depend on a lot of things.

I am also far more of the opinion that parents should be encouraged to "go with the flow" more rather than being told they "should" do this or "shouldn't" do that. Every baby and mum is different and mums generally have a pretty good instinct about what to do when they are not being confused by poor or conflicting medical advice.

It's a pretty old-school, typical MCHN way of doing things. I remember it from back in my nanny days - not so long ago, but working for families that worshipped the MCHN's footsteps.

If he's happy to shove anything in his mouth, any time, then I don't see the issue. At all. Go for it, and lie to MCHN if need be

Yet another reason to wear earplugs everytime you see an MCHN.

hey it wasn't Julie you saw was it?

I just told them down there that we were doing BLS and the nurse wa very helpful even suggesting websites etc (even though they were ones I already knew about).....as soon as I mentioned BLS she got the message I had done my homework and knew what I was doing.

For what it is worth we offer solids between milk meals not before....

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    I am also far more of the opinion that parents should be encouraged to "go with the flow" more rather than being told they "should" do this or "shouldn't" do that. Every baby and mum is different and mums generally have a pretty good instinct about what to do when they are not being confused by poor or conflicting medical advice.
    :yeahthat:

sounds like you're doing things in the way that suits your little man the best. i didn't offer solids before a BF for ages - it wasn't until DS got himself into his own routine of feeding before his naps/sleep & i just fit in solids around that (which now happens to be before BFs i guess).

Thanks everyone.

Wysiwyg - I'd never really thought about when babies make the "hungry/need food connection".

Kimmy - I can't believe that i forgot the "food is for fun until I am one" That used to be my favourite line. I wish I had remembered that at the time!

Melbel - I go to the other MCH centre I'm pleased yours is a little more up to date. Not sure if mine know what BLS means

MR - Thanks for your words. I really wanted to see if there ever was a circumstance where this advice would be sound. But no...not yet anyway.