Thread: Smelly farts in a newborn?

Default Smelly farts in a newborn?

Can anyone enlighten me on what may be causing the incredibly smelly farts from my fully breastfed 8 week old DD in the past 24 hours?
    Poor DH got the blame for them until I realised they were coming from my angelic little girl!!

And please don't tell me it is because of all of the chocolate I have consumed in the last 24 hours

smiles4u Guest

only time it happened with my DD when newborn was from something i ate ... yep i slipped up and had satay of all things for dinner when i was breastfeeding her, i felt like such a terrible Mother at the time as she was farting and a couple of times had the runs all within the course of one day

Could well be the chocolate lol Or anything else you have consumed - garlic, milk, chillies or spices...

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

lol DS2 can do really smelly ones too! But working out what I ate that made them smelly a couple of days ago is just too much hassle. He's happy and doesn't seem to notice lol. How do you work out what foods give bubs wind issues etc? I have a friend who is apparently not able to eat peas, brocoli and various other greens because they upset her DD's tummy... seems strange that things affect some bubs and not others...

He must be so proud of his little girl - just like daddy! Truly, does it matter? OK it's going to be a little embarrassing in the queue at the bank - no-one's going to believe it wasn't you. It was probably something you ate - but what? if there is no problem apart from smelly gas then just keep on doing what you are doing.

:yeahthat:

I've been telling my DH that DS2 could clear the line at Woolworhts He is 6 months and in the past 3 weeks they just stink & BAD!!!! the funniest part is they are all silent, so anyone can get the blame LOL!!!

Thanks for your replies all. I suspected it must be food I am eating but can't pinpoint it at the moment. I was hoping there would be an easy answer like 'oh, rotten egg farts, that must be the brussels sprouts you have eaten'. Alas, no clear reason and detective work on my part to sort it out. I guess it might be the motivation to get off this sugar craving train I seem to be on these days

As for not worry about it, ordinarily I wouldn't if it was just the smell. It is just that the smell has coincided with some definite gurgle guts in poor DD and she really seems to be uncomfortable until she manages to have a motion, which are not coming as easily as normal.

At least DH is off the hook though