Thread: Squirming and fidgeting at the breast

Default Squirming and fidgeting at the breast

DS is 6 weeks old and for the past few days he has been squirming and fidgeting during feeds.

About 5 minutes into the feed, he screws up his nose, pushes his face into my breast and tries to curl his body up, then he pulls back like he is stretching out. He makes grunting and cooing noises while he does this. If he comes off, he will shake his head and root for my nipple again and keep on feeding.

He doesn't seem to be upset at all as he doesn't cry but it's just frustrating because he's taking longer to feed. He is still having plenty of wet and pooey nappies and he is content after feeds most of the time.

Any ideas on why he is doing this?

I'm no expert ... have only been BFing for a few months myself ... but I've had similar issues on and off with my son. A few things I've worked out which relate to us:
    (a) wet nappy - If he's got a wet nappy he'll squirm and wriggle. I always change his nap before a feed.
    (b) strong flow of milk - near the start of a feed, DS sometimes needs a little 'breather' if my milk is flowing strongly. He squirms, screws up his face, pulls off and then immediately wants to reattach. When this happens I always squirt milk all over him as he pulls off .
    (c) milk flow slows - happens more near the end of a feed, but if my milk flow slows down and he needs to suck a little harder, he will sometimes squirm and wriggle.

Most of our feeds took up to 40-50 mins until approx 8-10 weeks, when suddenly 20 mins was all he needed to fill up. Can only suggest you sit down in front of the telly or have a good book on hand to pass the time.

I reckon most bubs probably squirm and wriggle around a bit on the boob from time-to-time, but if he's happy and producing enough wet/pooey nappies, then you and he are certainly doing something right! Good luck.

Andie

Hi Laranna, I found that all of babies went through this stage at about 6 weeks when feeding. Not sure if it comes along with the whole growth spurt thing or not.

Just relax and take your time with his feeds. He will come good soon enough

Hi,

Most babies like to have a little wriggle and a squirm - maybe reposition themselves more comfortably at the breast or have a little break - just the way we might when we are eating. It is confusing if this behaviour is different to be what he has been doing. How many times does he feed in 24 hours, would you say? Is he gaining weight OK? What about his positioning and attachment? Do you feel comfortable? Are you able to relax back in your chair? Could he be pooing his nappy? Or weeing - often they will break off to do this - in fact, suckling at the breast activates an anal reflex. I wonder if it is this? It sounds as though overall, breastfeeding is going really well, and mostly you have a content baby. You are doing a great job. Try not to worry too much.

Warm Regards
    Barb

Thanks Andie & Trish.

Barb, he's feeding 8-9 times in 24 hours, cluster feeds in the afternoon/evening. I feel comfortable with positioning and attachment and change his nappy either before a feed or in between when swapping breasts. I notice his tummy makes a lot of gurgling noises so maybe it is that and him trying to poop like you say. My main worry about everything is if he's getting enough because while he is consistently gaining weight, his gains have been low (around 75grams a week). However, he has grown in head size and length and seems healthy otherwise.

Thanks again for your advice ladies.

Hi Laranna, my son did the same thing at around 6 weeks, and again now - I wonder if it's something to do with growth spurts. He does it towards the end of the feed on each side, grizzling and yanking at me, so I think it's when the flow slows and he wants more. He does also pause to poop sometimes

HI,

I was wondering, have you thought of seeing a Lactation consultant? Sometimes it can be just so reassuring. I could recommend some-one if you like. Your little one seems to be doing really well, but the weightgains are lowish, it might be worth looking into it a bit further. As I said, might be fine, but there might be a few little adjustments you could make.

Warm Regards
    Barb

Yes please, that would be great if you could recommend a lactation consultant, Barb. It will be most reassuring to get it all sorted out as I refuse to go to formula.

I was also wondering with him being born 3 weeks early and losing a bit more than 10% of his birthweight he is taking longer to catch up?
    Last edited by Laranna; July 1st, 2008 at 01:10 PM.

rissa523 Guest

usually when my 5 week old has this behavior, she needs to burp, but I typically get them out of her pretty quickly when i put her on my shoulder. if i don't burp her she will usually spit up about 5-10 minutes after eating.

My DS used to do this when he needed a burp, but when I took him off he'd scream blue murder!
    He fed alot better after a burp though.
    I'd see an LC & talk about his weight. She might ba able to help. Does he have both sides at a feed or just one?