Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thrush in a newborn - poor poppet :(

How critical is it to treat oral thrush?

My DS has it but doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. It does explain why I had a small crack on my nipple take over a week to heal, but once that was gone everything is fine. I'm very much of the drug-avoidance school of thought. He does get thrush nappy rash fairly often though, the daktozin works great on that.

Cutting down on sugar though ... hmmmmmm. I like sugar. It shows
    Last edited by deletedit; September 26th, 2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: DS, DD, same thing isn't it lol

I think that you should treat it - leaving it alone might lead to cracks that take ages to heal and let in bacteria which would lead to you needing antibiotics - much tougher on Theo than topical thrush treatment.

Hi Dusty - I'm hoping you come back to this thread. I have nipple thrush and I feel like it's pretty bad, although DS seems to be thrush free. I have an app't with the GP on Monday because the Daktarin (on my nipples and in DS' mouth) is not really doing much. I'm also taking probotics and cleaning my nipples with a water/bicarb mixture after every feed (before air drying and applying Daktarin). I'm wondering if you found anything that really worked for you - how did you kick the thrush out of your lives? Thanks.

Hi Julie sorry have to be quick now but I also used disposable breast pads instead of cloth changing them each feed & washed my bras more frequently. Even if bub's mouth looks clear the thrush may still be there so keep using the gel for at least a week after you are both clear. I hope it clears for you both soon xx

Thanks Dusty. I'm doing all that - going through disposable breast pads by the box! and just washed one of my bras in extremely hot water even though it's bad for it. I think I'm going to need a prescription - I'm really uncomfortable and can't see being able to put up with this pain much longer.

How is it going hun? I hope you got to see a dr and that things are improving. I only had it in one nipple and that was bad enough xx

Saw the GP - she could tell from across the room that my nipples had thrush! She put me on a 3 dose course of diflucan to take over 6 days (alternating days) so I've taken 1 dose and maybe have a tiny bit of improvement. She did also say that DS has it in his mouth but very mild. I'm hoping that between the diflucan and the other steps I'm taking it will clear up. It's really an awful thing! I'm a bit annoyed that when my OB put me on antibiotices, I wasn't warned of this and told of certain steps I could take to lessen the chances of getting thrush.

I hope this breaks the back of it hun. I too was so annoyed no one warned me of the risk with ABs. Being a new mum you already have a lot of stuff going on that is new & challenging without having to think through the possible medical consequences. Let me know how you go xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12