Thread: Topping up with formula

Default Topping up with formula

Didn't get the best news from our midwife today. I've been struggling with sore nipples and not really feeding very well and she said if Espen's poos don't change to the yellow curds tomorrow and he starts having more wet nappies then we probably need to top up with some formula.

Due to insane cracks on my left nipple we're now going to rest it and pump and bottle feed from that side for 48 hours. I'm okay with that as he'll still be getting 'normal' nipple on the right at least and it's for a short time so I don't think it'll mess up his sucking. I'm feeling pretty positive it'll increase my supply too as I've already leaked which I hadn't done at all yet.

I'm just concerned about the idea of giving him formula... is once enough to mess up the beautiful bacteria in his gut? Does anyone know where do I research this so I'm forearmed depending on how things are going tomorrow?

Ren,
    I'm not sure this will help you, but just letting u know. I just had to FF for 3 days due to having to take the morning after pill and Bry has gone back to boobs no problem. He's sucking fine and tho I am still topping him a little atm (Iwill pump as well to increase supply), I am hopeful all will go back to good very soon. Not all babies reject the boob once they have bottles/FF's. Booby milk is sweeter and they do prefer it most of the time. I hope things go well for u and any problems sort themselves out.... *hugs*

Congrats on your new little bundle!

I would get in touch with the ABA straight away and ask for a recommendation for a lactation consultant too.

The pumping sounds like a good idea. I've heard that milk can take up to 5 days or so to come in, and it sounds like yours is well and truly coming in now if you're leaking I don't know if one drink of formula can upset the flora in the gut, but if you want to hold off on using any formula, definitely get in contact with a LC rather than going with the midwife, you'll get your supply up with some right advice and help attaching Espen.

Good luck! and congrats again

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Ren!!! I told you to call me if you have any bf probs! Nortie!!!

Give me a call chook - I think you need a real LC to come out and see you and work out a plan of attack that is doable and something you are happy with... x
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks everyone. I am booked into to a lactation clinic tomorrow so we'll how that goes then we'll call a private LC if need be (Thanks Kelly ).

Thought I'd pop in and ask how things are going? How was the lactation clinic?

Hope you got things sorted