Thread: Upset tummy? Maybe TMI

Default Upset tummy? Maybe TMI

I'm not sure if I should pose this question here or in the med condition section......

DD is 19weeks, fully BF, and basically had BM all day yesterday. I'd say about 8, and if there wasn't a BM, there were alot of um, wet farts (sorry for tmi) She's already had about 5 BM today, whilst they're not really explosive, this is way more than normal for her. Once a day is usually it. They are yellow in colour and the texture or smell hasn't changed.

She is always pretty chucky, but today she has been really chucky, all day long, alot of it quite watery but some are actually smelling quite sick, not like normal.

She is still really happy, still having wet nappies, good colour etc and wanting to feed much more frequently, so naturally I am. I figure so much seems to be coming out at the moment she must need more going in to keep up fluids? I haven't changed my diet and I can't think of what could be causing it, other that an upset tummy?

Am I doing the right thing in feeding more? Whilst I don't think it warrants a doctors visit it's still playing on my mind....

Dont' think there'd be any harm in feeding more. Perhaps she's just feeling a little off
    Not on antibiotics or anything?

Nope no antibiotics in either of us. If she's still going strong on the poops tomorrow maybe I'll get her checked by the Doc just to be sure.

She has just learnt to blow raspberries, maybe she's straining a little too hard

It's probably nothing too serious, but always good to get reassurance. Hope she's back to normal soon

If you think she is unwell, then more bfs is a great treatment for her, so I would say you've done the right thing. How is she today?

Last night she slept 7 - 4am, woke up really hungry and fed then slept til 7am. She's had one soiled nappy so far but otherwise seems fine, not as chucky as yesterday either. All seems normal again!
    Keep us on our toes don't they?! Thanks for asking

It seems like we're back to lots of soiled nappies again. For the last 4 or 5 days DD has had probably 6 poos a day. More often than not her wet nappies are also soiled. Not all of them are full nappies, some just smallish (and yep a while after the previous one so I don't think it's not being finished yet), still yellow, still runny, just lots of poos. She is exclusively BF, we haven't started solids, she's happy and putting on weight, drinking as normal. I'm fairly sure it's not oversupply as my milk seems all as normal. She feeds about 7 - 8 times a day.

It just feels like she soils her nappy all day long. Can anyone tell me if this is something I should be worried about or is she just a poopie kid? I hear so often that BF babies can go days without having a bowel motion..... not my DD!

I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about hun. Some bf babies can go days without poos, but likewise others poo several times a day. Sometimes more poos than normal can be a sign of illness, but your DD sounds like she's happy and well, and the poos are normal in colour and consistency so it doesn't sound like illness in this case. The only thing I can suggest is that if she is feeding more often than usual, try offering the same breast again if it hasn't been long since the last feed. But really, I would say if it's not broke, don't fix it!

It could be just a reaction to something in your diet that makes things move along. Are you eating something different? I know eating too much stone fruit (apricots, peaches, plums etc.) can have that effect, not that they're in season, but just as an example.

Okay I'll stop worrying about it then, I think having DH home for the weekend and his constant 'she's pooey again, is that normal' comments are starting to get to me! Thanks MantaRay, it's hard not to over think things sometimes. And Yeddi I've thought about my diet and it's stayed the same so don't think that's it, but thanks for the tip, I sometimes do forget what I eat can affect her.

Quote Originally Posted by human bean View Post
    Okay I'll stop worrying about it then, I think having DH home for the weekend and his constant 'she's pooey again, is that normal' comments are starting to get to me!
    I know what you mean! When my DH is home for a few days and makes comments i start thinking my little one is getting sick or teething or ... when she is just being a baby. Sometimes its easier to cope when he is at work.