Thread: Anyone know much about the area of Jannali, Sutherland Shire NSW?

Default Anyone know much about the area of Jannali, Sutherland Shire NSW?

Hello, just looking to find out some information about this area. DH has been offerred an opportunity that would involve relocating to this area. I have been there to visit relatives a couple of times, but am looking for more of an 'insider's' view of the area. how family friendly is it? Good area to bring up young kids? Which are the good schools? Anything else I should be aware of?
    Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks so much

I'll be back asap to answer. I have a headache at the moment but will try to come back later

thanks lisa hope your headache is better soon

Thanks hun... I'm feeling a little better now.

I grew up in the Sutherland Shire. Back when I was a teenager, Jannali was one of the not so great areas. Now days though many of the Dept Housing places have been sold off and it has become a much nicer area to live. My sister currently lives there and 2 of my nephews go to school at Jannali East school and they love it there. My sisters rent is through the roof though for the small house she is in but she doesn't want to move as they love the location and the school is amazing. They are within walking distance of everything and Jannali does have a small community type feel about it as well as being family friendly.
    The biggest pitfall would be the rentals. Most 3 bedroom houses are in the $500+ p/w range.

Thanks so much for the info Lisa. This is the second time I have heard good things about that school, so i think we would definitely want to be in that catchment area.
    We are undecided as to whether we would rent for a while first to see how we like it or just jump straight in and buy- especially because apparantley they are still selling off some of the housing commisssion houses and this is a good way to get your foot in the door and buy a bit of a project.
    Can i ask, do you know anything about the High Schools- Public and Private?
    Thanks

Not sure about Jannali High School as we went to a different school. When me & my siblings were at school Jannali High was just forming from the boys & girls schools. Apparently its a great school these days but I don't personally know of anyone that has gone there.

There are some private schools around but none that I know if in Jannali. Sutherland has St Patricks school & high school and that isn't too far from Jannali.

Thanks so much Lisa

Suprised- i've tried to PM you but your inbox is too full and not accepting messages

Sorry! Should be clear now

thanks PMing now

Hey you...i think we've spoken about this before. I too grew up in Suth. Shire - Engadine actually, and went to St Pats for yrs 11 and 12.....one of my other sisters went to De La Salle at Cronulla. Both great schools.
    I agree with previous poster re: rental prices.....thru the roof in the shire, esp rentals.
    When i was growing up in shire, jannalli was traditionally a older suburb, lots of elderly people. With new developments etc, this has really changed. I remember mum used to take us 4 girls to get our school shoes from Jannalli coz they had the best school shoe shop around LOL....
    GL.....its a lovely area....would give my right arm to move back to shire....but DH wont have a bar of it

hi mbear! yes we have definitly spoken about this before- i tried to dig up that thread but it must've been culled.
    thanks for your help, i wish your dh would let you move back there!