thread: Playing the desperate rental game!

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Playing the desperate rental game!

We have to move as the house we are renting has *finally* sold, and we are desperately looking for another place. We really need a four bedroom house, but would be satisfied with a three bedroom (just means dd and ds have to share a room again, and Mack would be in our room).

We found a four bedroom place, but I'm not sure its "the one for us". It's on a busier road than the one we are on, and is also a major pedestrian route. Here, we get lots of drunks walking past, that cause trouble. There, the house is one house block away from *THE WORST* street in town, and so lots of people walk past, and there is a vacant block in the worst street that sides up against the rental backyard. Along with two units. I can only imagine the issues of living in this location. I would worry about things being thrown into our backyard, maybe bait for the dog, or more bricks through the windows. I say more bricks, as when we went to the inspection the other day, there was a brick on the floor in the front lounge room, along with a heap of broken shards of glass. In addition at the inspection, we saw the inside of the house has been totally trashed by the previous tenants. ALL of the carpets need replacing, and the rest of the place disinfected (and I never disinfect anything). The kitchen is a bit scary, there is carpet in the laundry (goodness knows why!), and the backyard is full of *****les in the grass.

But it does have a garage!

So I have no idea who lived there previously, maybe the brick through the window was for them, or just a gift from a kind passer by. Whilst we are getting desperate for a house, I really, REALLY hope we don't need this place (which itself would be a really nice house once repaired).

Just had to talk to someone about this house. Has anyone had no option but to move to somewhere like this?

Nov 2011
    Perth

Oh that sounds just horrid.. where are you? We are moving from our rental next month... I hope you find something in a nicer area.

Jul 2007
    melb

Gees sounds awful I don't think you should even contemplate that place! How scary you would be worried about kids 24 by 7. Hope you find something soon.

Mar 2007

****, no way, don't move there!

Jun 2007
    Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne.

no i definitely wouldn't be moving there. is there anything else available?

Nov 2010

I wouldn't even consider it.

Add CKJ on Facebook

Dec 2011
    Central Coast NSW

As everyone above, if that's what it's like in an inspection I personally wouldn't consider it!

Feb 2008
    Near the Snowies!

No way! Even if it is a bit squishy, a 3 bedder would be much better!
    Hope you can find somewhere. What about private rentals? Even if it is only for the short term until something more suitable pops up?

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Can you talk to an RE about getting a short term rental? Squish yourselves into a 3 bed or smaller even until a bigger one comes up?

I'd not be looking at the one that you've described. It would stress me out too much.

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Thanks everyone. I would worry more than we do here, and I have mentioned the issues and problems we have experienced in this house, just since last October. There is a three bedroom place just out of town which would do us for now. Though it doesn't have a garage, which would be a problem. I reread my above post, and I must say that the garage comment of the nasty house still doesn't make it appealling.

Lady Neon, we live in Swan Hill, on the Murray River.

Nov 2011
    Perth

A smaller home with no garage in a safe suburb far outweighs a bigger home in a dangerous area. Sorry I can't help I'm in Perth, hope you find something suitable x

BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Jun 2004
    The Festival State

Just had to talk to someone about this house. Has anyone had no option but to move to somewhere like this?
    Yes.

i'm still here, 18 months later. i regret it every day. But i had no other option. It is scary.

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Found out from the real estate agent today about the nasty house, the woman that lived there "was there for eight years and was the scrubbiest of the scrubbers". Ewww.

But I did go for inspection at the three bedder just out of town. Terrific! Seriously. It's part of a working farm, so there will be some coming and goings, and there is even space that we could drop a 20foot shipping container for the Man to put his shed stuff in, if the landlord will say yes. The bedrooms are *huge*, but none have wardrobes. And its clean! The agent wasn't happy because she thinks it has been signed off for its finally inspection, but it has lots of cobwebs! Wow, she is particular (and not the one that showed us through the nasty house), but is leaving the real estate agency.

Fingers crossed we can get this one.

Nov 2010

Luck honey