Thread: ran out of gas what now?

Default ran out of gas what now?

well i ran out of gas a few days ago and ive never lived in a house with gas bottles, i don't think our lease will be renewed and i have till 8th may
    do i need to replace bottle?
    will i get in trouble by rental agency if i dont?
    how much are they ?
    how do i switch to other bottle?
    its take pretty much 1 year to use a full bottle.

You can hook a BBQ bottle up to the gas thingy. We used to do it all the time when we ran out of gas and I was cooking.

oh, and don't bother about making sure there are full gas bottles at the house. You won't get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    oh, and don't bother about making sure there are full gas bottles at the house. You won't get into trouble.
    oh o.k i hope thats k

I'm sure I've read you shouldn't hook up BBQ gas to the house!
    LPG gas that most BBQ's run on gives off more toxic fumes and can poison you if you use it indoors also. It's why you should only use camping lights outside and not in the tent, besides the fire risk.

I'm pretty sure BBQ bottle gas is the same gas used in the LPG bottles hooked up to houses with no natural gas.

Raven, the bottled gas used in many houses that do not have mains gas is LPG.

Squid - Check your lease. Some leases have it as a requirement that you replace the gas bottles as they are used but others dont. We were very lucky that we didn't have to replace any as there were plently of bottles at our old house, but we did have to switch them. It is a screw on screw off thing.

Coming back to say I didn't read that properly.

I was thinking she was hooking up a gas bottle to an appliance that runs on natural gas

Never mind me

Do you think you could get by without replacing it? What heats your hot water? From reading your other thread (% of rent/mortgage) I think I would try to save your money for the move.... if you can get by.

i would take a good look at your rental agreement - if you moved in with gas bottle full (if it's taken a year to use it, i would assume this is the case) and you move out, it may be a condition of your agreement that the bottle be full on departing as you HAVE used the gas, and given it costs over $1.12 per litre (that was about 12 weeks ago and i know it's gone up since then), it's a HUGE amount of your bond that they can technically keep if the bottle is empty when you leave. not sure how big the bottle is at your house, but we had ours filled just recently (can't put my hands on the bill) but i know it was less than 150L of gas and we got a bill for over $200... that's not money you want to NOT be expecting to pay out...

realistically, when you think about it, you've used a product, you should be paying for it...

That's true BG... but some tenants don't have to pay for the water they use... I agree though, examine the lease contract. But knowing your situation Squidpa don't feel pressured to pay for a new bottle if you don't have to.... at least the owner can claim the cost of a new one as part of their tax deductions.
    Do what you legally have to do though because an unexpected cost is worse than dealing with it now.

i might read my lease and check that... i have two very large gas bottles we have done nothing here at all when it comes to replacing them but yes we used it and its cost us nothing so far as the last tenant had bought one a few months before moving out. its a large one so could cost a bit. might have to hunt down our lease.

would be a bonus if we dont have to replace it tho.