Thread: Tell me about Tasmania... why do I feel so drawn to it at the moment?

Default Tell me about Tasmania... why do I feel so drawn to it at the moment?

I am seriously trying to convince DH into relocating to Tasmania.

I have this almost uncontrollable urge to move there and I have no idea why. I have never been there before.

Tell me about Tassie...

The lifestyle?

The type of people?

The good places and bad to live?

Job opportunities for DH?

Rental? Hard to get your hands on (a shortage like here)?

Hmm... anything else you might like to add

I don't know the answers to your questions cos its been a LONG time since I moved to Queensland from Tassie (moved in 91)

But god I wish every day I could move back

And your trying to get me to move the the sunshine coast...

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I have been 2 times on holiday to Tassie and loved it!! Peaceful, pretty, friendly etc!! (oh and cadbury factory Lol)

I have a friend who moved melb to darwin and now in tassie and loves it!!!

Good luck

Hey! I live in Tassie, moved here from Adelaide in 99 and I love it here It's soooo pretty, so layed back and more peaceful.

The people are pretty friendly here I have found Everyone knows everyone lol

Jobs are a little lower paying here than on the mainland. It isn't hard to get a job though if you have the right qualifications.

Rentals are on the rise but they are STILL cheaper then everywhere else. Depending on where you want to live you can get a nice 3br house very close to the beach, 20 minutes from the city for about $300 a week.

Good and bad places... well I would stick to Hobart or Launceston. Hobart is better though lol

Launceston has some great +'s like city park and the monkeys, the gorge and Trevallyn dam are stunning! They have a great museum and lots of the footy is up there. And the big day out etc.
    Hobart has Mt Wellington, ZooDoo/Richmond, LOTS of beaches to choose from and very close to the beach. We have cadburys (though they stopped the tours BOO HOO).

There is so many great things about Tassie! I do love it here. I love the lifestyle. I love the people. I love the fresh air. I HATE the hills haha

I spent most of my childhood in Tassie, left when I was 18 and went back just before I turned 20. Met DH and we left when I was 24 (I think). I lived in Launceston, but did spend some time working in Hobart.

I would choose the northern end of Tas, as basically it means you can go to most parts of the state without to much hassle (the boat is only about an hour from Launceston). Launceston to Hobart is now less than 2 hours, so not bad if you want to do a day trip for shopping etc. We looked at moving back, we were sticking north, somewhere along the Tamar river. Still kicking ourselves for not going back and buying the dream property before the prices went up (I sill mourn the loss of that property ) I do think the cost of housing there is way to high now, that was a major factor (along with a couple of others) with us deciding against there.

The main thing to consider there is that it costs you to get out of the state and you need to prearrange it. I admit we got used to over here just being able to jump in the car and go with just petrol to pay. Tassie takes some planning. That is one of the reasons that we decided not to go back.

Can't really comment on jobs, depends on what you do. Look up the Tas Gov website and see what it says about industries etc. Look up the job listing online if you can just to get an idea. If it is still like it what when I left, it can be a bit of who you know rather than what you know.

I do miss the place at times. Go on a holiday and see what it is like for yourself.

I LOVE Tassie. I go at least twice a year - infact I'm taking my girlfriends to Hobart for my 40th and I reckon they will end up gagging me because I will carry on and on and on (especially after a few drinks) about how great Hobart is and I want to move there. They won't let me though LOL.

I would love to live there but DP is a train driver and there aren't many jobs for him there. So now the plan is to move there when we both have long service leave and see what it's like. I'm working towards retiring there.

Melbourne summers are always VERY testing for me because I just find them yeuko and every year I say, "bugger it, we should just move to Tassie."

Quote Originally Posted by fionas View Post
    Melbourne summers are always VERY testing for me because I just find them yeuko and every year I say, "bugger it, we should just move to Tassie."
    DH was like that and was a bit as well, we both prefer the cold. Tassie is so much better for that.

I'm going to be SO biased here

As Mel said, lifestyle is much more laidback, I think Tassie is a great place to raise kids too. I love the scenery, but unlike Mel I LOVE the hills/mountains, I find it weird to go to the mainland and see a flat horizon!!

Of course our weather isn't as warm as the mainland but I'm not much of a heat person, I prefer the cold (remind me of that in a few months though!!)

What does your DH do?? I'd say there are job prospects, if you're willing to look for them!! As for location, I'd stick to either Launceston or Hobart to begin with. Launceston is central, Hobart is a bigger population. depends what you are looking for.

Come for a look

My main reason for moving is to find a lovely place to raise my DD and future children. I love the country and I love the hills

DH does not have a trade. He was in the Army - SAS for 10 years then he was a warehouse supervisor now he is a truck driver. So I am not sure of the opportunities for him... he is able and willing to do anything.

I am regularly looking at rentals on realestate dot com. I often find houses which I could quite happily move into tomorrow (I hate the house we are in at the moment)

I was thinking northen tassie, just from my research so far, I think it is better suited to us.

I am thinking that maybe we should come and spend a week down there and have a good look at whether it would work for us.

As I said above though, I have this most uncontrollable urge, like I am meant to be there for, something.

Check out the labour hire companies down there to see if they have a need for truck drivers, or wharehouse people. You might be lucky.

I love the hills I just don't like walking up them haha

Northern Tassie is warmer, it's also smoggier. I am actually moving up there in a couple of months