thread: Is 4 c/s catagorised "high risk"??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    Hi,
    I'm not certain about classifications, but I do understand that having more than 3 kids tends to increase the risks somewhat, and the risks of the c/s surgery itself increase significantly after the 3rd one.
    I would assume they'd want to manage that at the bigger hospital, but you'd really need to call them and find out.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong
    5,572

    I think that you are not considered a grand multip (ie someone who is high risk because of the number of times they have given birth) until you have had 5 children. However with each CS your risks tend to raise so I imagine they would be keeping quite a close eye on you to make sure that your scar and placenta are doing what they are supposed to. I would imagine they would prefer you to receive your care at the larger hospital as a result of this, but the best person to ask is your midwife or OB who can let you know local policies.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    14,222

    As far as I know, once you get to that magical 4th c.s then you are classed as higher risk as the risk increases each time of complications after the birth. I know the small district hospital where I went will not take women having their 4th c/s - you have to go to the larger Base hospital for that in case you need further surgery afterwards.