Thread: Brock William - A positive caesarean birth

Smile Brock William - A positive caesarean birth

I originally had this in Birth stories but it was lost in the abyss with the recent upgrades. Just thought I would post my experience in this Caesarean section discussion & Support forum

I guess the best way to start is with a brief overview of my daughters birth. I had PE with that pregnancy and my Obstetrician wanted her delivered by 38 weeks. As my cervix was unfavourable and her head was not engaged the Ob recommended a caesarean. To cut a long story short, the anaesthetist couldn't get the spinal/epi to work properly so they knocked me out.
    Missing my daughters birth, her first cries and first hour of life was a traumatic experience for me. I felt totally robbed. We had bonding issues and I got PND. It made me determined to have a more positive experience next time around.

Fast forward to this pregnancy and I was all set for VBAC until I developed insulin dependant gestational diabetes. I chose a different care provider who was dedicated in helping me to have a positive birth this time. Due to the diabetes we collectively decided if I went into labour before 39 weeks I would VBAC but if not, I would have another elective caesarean. But this time, I had a birth plan. I wanted the screen dropped so we could witness our sons birth and I wanted him given to me straight away in theatre in his newborn gooey state. Not all rubbed down and tightly wrapped up like usually happens.

So our birth day came and we had to be at the hospital at 5.30am. Of course I got absolutely NO sleep the night before. During the pre-admission, the nurse mentioned who my anaesthetist was going to be and it worried me that it was the same guy who I had last time and I was worried he wouldn't be able to make the spinal work again. But thankfully there must have been a change of plan at the last minute as a lovely woman anaesthetist came in to prep me.
    When I got on the table they asked me to curl up into a very tight ball. It seemed to be taking the anaesthetist forever and I knew she was having trouble getting the spinal in the right spot and I was getting worried I'd end up with a GA again. My student midwife told me later that while this was taking place my BP was though the roof! Finally she got it in and I started to feel all warm and then numb.Such a relief!

It didn't seem to take long for the Ob to get started. Before we knew it, the Ob asked for the screen to be taken down and the anaesthetist helped me lift my head so I could witness my son coming into the world. He let out the biggest loudest cry, it was such a beautiful sound. My Ob bought him straight up close enough for me to touch his little foot. He then passed our son to the midwife who bought him straight to me and placed him on my chest all naked and gooey. He didn't have to go to the resus table to be checked. He was just perfect. I got to comfort my little man straight away. My student mid then removed the top of my gown so I could have skin to skin in theatre.

When it was time to move to recovery my son was brieftly taken off me while I was moved off the operating table, then given straight back to me for more skin to skin and our first breastfeed in recovery. He latched on like a pro He was then weighed and measured in front of me and handed back to me for our journey back to the ward.

It was so beautiful to be awake for this experience and to be given my son straight away.
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; October 30th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Fantastic story - glad you got the positive birth you wanted Well done!

So glad you had it copied, these stories are important for everyone...especially those a bit fearful of c/s xoxoxo

Thanks for reposting mama. I can't find a few posts I was looking for and the above was one and your other one showing your c/s birth plan would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks hon.

May xx

Thanks guys Yeah I'm so glad I had a copy.

Maybub, here is my CS birth plan.

I'm hoping for a positive, empowering and sensitive Caesarean birth for our second child. Our daughters birth was an Elective Caesarean under a General Anaesthetic (failed epidural). This was a very traumatic experience because of the obvious lack of consciousness during the birth and the lack of immediate contact between me and my baby. We are hoping to welcome our second child into the world in more pleasant circumstances. We therefore ask you to familiarise yourself with what is important to us and we appreciate your support with our birth preferences.

Our Caesarean Birth Plan

I request that my husband [ name inserted ] and professional birth support person (RN & Student Midwife) [ name inserted] be present to provide support during the birth of our baby.

I would like the screen to be lowered so that I can witness the birth of our baby.

We wish to have digital photographs and footage taken of our baby's first moments, including the birth and meeting his mum and dad etc.

It is very important to me that I meet my baby in his newborn naked state. (ie: as soon as possible after delivery and gooey). I would like my baby to be placed on my chest with warm blankets over both of us. If baby needs to be taken to be checked and suctioned I would like him returned to me for skin-to-skin in theatre as soon as possible. If for some reason I am unable to hold my baby I wish for my husband or student midwife to do so where I can see him.

Please do not discard the placenta. I wish to have it kept so it can be shown and explained to me later. I feel this will help normalise the birth experience. My student midwife can take care of the placenta on my behalf.

If baby and myself are well I would like the opportunity to breastfeed and continue skin-to-skin with baby in recovery. (this is very important to me)

I do not wish weighing and measuring to be done until I have had time to bond with my baby. Please also perform these examinations/procedures in the presence of my husband and/or student midwife where they can be involved and take photographs.

I would prefer baby to have the Vit K injection and any blood sugar levels tested whilst he is having skin-to-skin (and preferably at the breast) in order to minimise any discomfort to him.

I do not want my baby to receive the Hep B vaccination. Instead I will defer this until 8 weeks as I'd like the immunisations he has at birth to be minimal.

PLEASE NOTE:

Should my caesarean end up being under a General Anaesthetic I would like my baby's birth to be photographed and filmed.

I understand that Jason would be asked to leave the theatre but I would like my student midwife to remain in theatre for the birth if possible.

I would like Jason to be introduced to the baby as soon as possible and then remain with the baby at all times.

And I would like my baby bought to me upon waking in recovery for skin-to-skin and breastfeeding.

All other aspects of our birth plan are to remain the same.

congrats again darl!!
    lovely photos too~!

yay MS! Glad you had a copy!!

How is the feeding going? Hope it's all going well.

Lovely photos!!

So glad it was a better experience for you this time around.

Sue xxxx

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Congratulations again!!! So happy you had a copy of story!!!

Love the pics!!

CONGRATULATIONS.. what a beautiful empowering birth story.
    So glad you got what you wanted and needed and had the support of the medical professionals, well done.

Wow! Wonderful! Congratulations.....
    The photos are great, and little Brock is adorable!

thanks ladies

Those photos are gorgeous Mamaspice!!

thanks Shanti

I will have to post again in here LOL. MamaSpice, as I said in the first thread, I am so so happy that you got to have the beautiful and perfect birth experience that you truly deserved and I hope that being able to see him being born has helped your healing