Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-Sect Decision

Default C-Sect Decision

Hi All,

I sugger from GAD and OCD and have been given the option by my obs to have an elective c-sect, as I have been having lots of anxiety around the labour and birth of bubs. I am not afraid of the pain, just afraid something will go wrong and I will go home empty handed I am seeing my psych tomorrow to chat further as well..

Obs thinks that c-sect will help take away some of that anxiety, as will be in controleld environment, with a set date etc etc.

I just am sooooooooooooo confused with making my decision. If I do decide to have a c-sect I fear that people will see me as talking the "soft" way out. I don't think its the soft way out by any means. I know I should not worry about what others think, as its my decision but it is just in the abck of my mind.

I also wonder if the recovery will increase my anxiety then a vaginal birth would. its jsut such a decision at the moment its all I can think about!

Any hint, tips, advice etc would be highly appreciated!

I don't know a huge amount about c/s but I want you to know that whatever you decide, make sure that you are ok with your decision and that you are not being pressured by anyone. And by anyone, I mean your OB, your DH, friends, family, BB members, ANYONE. Also, I think you have made the right decision to do some further research about your options. Please know that a c/s is not the 'easy' way out. I don't want to frighten you, but there are things that can go wrong in any birthing situation. It has been shown that c/s is not any safer than vaginal birth. But in your situation, the control over the date of birth may be what you need. I am no expert on your conditions at all. I really hope someone else on here can offer some more insight and advice. I just want you to know that you are the mother of your baby and what you decide is what goes. You will make the decision based on what is best for you and your baby. If someone doesn't like that decision, that is their problem. They are not you. Good luck with your decision and your birth, whatever you choose xxx

Default C-Sect Decision

I agree. C sections are not the soft way out. I HAD to have one. I had no other choice and when I told some people I got "chicken" and "that's the cheats way out". It really bugged me! All I can say is do what feels right for you and your baby. I am sure your ob wouldn't have mentioned it if he/she thought there was any other way that would help you. There are risks involved as it is classes as major abdominal surgery, but it's like any surgery really. I suggest talking to your on further and definately talking to your psyche further too. Good luck and big hugs

i had 2 c/s, and honestly?? if your worry is about anxiety, i would probably go with a vaginal birth. i suffer anxiety too, i'm medicated for it, so i'm not just sprouting crap.
    c/s can make you feel extremely vulnerable, you are numb, on a bed, with everything going on around you. it can spark a panic attack in people who don't suffer anxiety.
    c/s recovery is a lot worse than from a vaginal delivery, if someone mentions the 'soft way out', tell them to get their stomach's sliced open, swished around, and sewn back together. not nice.
    a vaginal delivery, which obviously you're very anxious about should be a more empowering experience than anything. you will also use up a lot of the adrenaline that you will have pumping around your body from the anxiety, which will make your time with your baby much nicer. adrenaline is one of the main causes of anxiety, so it helps to expel it.
    i also *think* that going through a vaginal birth will give you an amazing feeling of achievement, it may even help to alleviate some of your anxiety for future problems, the whole "i did this, i can do anything" mentality.
    either way chickie, only you can make this decision for you, i'm just offering my 2 cents worth from personal experience xoxo

BK

I suffer from GAD and OCD also and take meds for it (Ciprimil).

I have been through 2 births, one 3 day labour resulting in emergency c/s and 2nd birth elective c/s.

I have to say the 2nd birth was soooo much better. Everyones experience if different for Boobaloo like she says VB would be better for her re anxiety, but for me c/s elective was so much better than VB.

For me I couldnt go through the 3 day labour again and then the distress I went through before emergency c/s due to my anxiety and OCD. Speak to your OB and also make the right decision for you hon. What you feel is best in your self and less of a trigger for your GAD and OCD.

From my experience, knowing a date which I picked myself and given a time a week before c/s and then anethetist calling a few days before the birth and going through the procedure and the drugs, knowing what was before me, I was at ease as best one could be before birth. Anethetist came also to talk to me 30mins before the procedure and assured me all will be fine. Knowing what was to be done at all stages, was a relief for me. Recovery was so much better than first emergency c/s, got to hold my baby on the operating table while they stitched me up, then only in recovery for 30mins. No painkillers after 3 days compared to 3 weeks of painkillers with my first c/s. C/s is so not the easy way out its major surgery. Also the best thing you can do with either choice you decide is see a psychologist to prep you for the birth, I had at least 4 sessions leading up to the birth preparing myself mentally for the birth, have some calming techniques to take with you. Focus not on whats going on around you but focus on at the end of this you will have your baby in your arms.

If you want to chat about this anytime please pm me BK, happy to message you back or email you.

Bel
    Last edited by *Belle*; July 22nd, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

If you are unsure about which option to choose, maybe you could look into hypnobirthing? It might help you with relaxation techniques and allow you to still feel in control - even if you do choose to have a c/s the techniques would still be useful to help keep you calm kwim?

Thanks ladies! I guess its really hard to tell what will trigger my anxiety, until I go through with it. Off to see my Psychiatrist and Psychologist today so hopefull will be all talked out by the end of the day.

I do keep thinking back to the last time I had surgery. I had my first panic attack. Only ever had 1 more since then as panic attacks are not a symptom of my anxiety. I think I was fairly justified in haveing a panic attack though, first ever surgery was a cornea transplant! I think that justifies a panic attack!

Hugs BK. Good luck today with them, hope it goes really well, talk to them, they will know whats best for you as they manage your anxieties. I can see how that caused PA hon. You also can get hypnotherapy done by your psych if they do it too, I had it done for anxiety of driving and it worked wonders.

Let us know how you go.

Bel
    xxx

I had panic attacks with both my c-sections, and a slight panic attack with my VBA2C. It was only a slight one, because the next contraction took my mind off the panic attack cos it was bloody painful

I hated my c-sections because I hate being in hospital - that in itself was bad enough to make me have panic attacks. I had one the night before DD1 was born because they weren't sure if she was going to make it, and that scared the heck outta me.

BUT - I also had panic attacks leading up to the birth of DD2 because I was scared shiatless of what was going to happen.

I think either way you probably will have a panic attack, so one mightn't be a better option than the other IYKWIM? I think focusing on the reason why you are having a panic attack and managing them when they happen is probably the only thing you can do, cos like I said, you might have a panic attack with either choice.

I hate panic attacks. they suck.

My partner has GAD and the uncertainty of the date was freaking the poor lad out, as well as fear that the new baby would be as awful to deal with as DD#2 was.

Fortunately bubs arrived quickly in the middle of the night when my parents were going to visit anyway so didn't put anyone's routines out and is a very good baby, and partner is back to normal anxiety levels

So I think I have made the decision to go ahead with and elective. My psychiatrist has recommended one, he definatly thinks it will be for the best. Despite the recovery being a PITA, he says it will be good for everyone to do everything for me.

Is it true that you vomit alot during a c-sect???

bk - i never vomitted once during mine. i have never heard of people vomittind during it either. i imagine tho it would be from the spinal/epidural that you will get.

Good to hear you are formulating a plan the friends I know who have had c/s haven't vomited x

nope, never vomitted.
    congrats on making your decision
    i agree about learning some calming excercises etc xo

I vomited after my c-sections. I also suffer A&D and took my AD's right up til delivery. As long as YOU are happy with the decision you make you will be fine. Yes the recovery is longer but having a know date should relive some of the 'unknown' anxiety.

Also staying in hospital for a little bit longer after birth they can monitor you for early PND signs. Not that I am saying you will get PND but it is good to have the drs/nurses keep an eye out for it.

GL

Sounds like you had a good discussion today with the psych. Thats good you made a decision what is best for you.

I didnt vomit at all with both c/s, I was fine. I had an Epi with the first birth and a Spinal Block for the 2nd birth. The Spinal Block has less drugs in it than the Epi as its inserted in a different area of the spine, talk to the OB to discuss, they will explain. I had a choice of either with my 2nd c/s and chose spinal block due to this, was a good decision for me as im scared of drugs and how they affect me. I took my Anti'd's through my pregnancy and after the c/s and am still on them now.

I vomited after my first c-section, but not my second. Epidural for the first one, spinal block for the second.

I find it is the morphine in the anesthetic that makes me vomit.. They reduced the amount with my 2nd c/s, and I was still in control even though I was sick, however with my 1st, I was so out of it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast