Thread: C Section; Epidural or General?

Default C Section; Epidural or General?

I am after other peoples experiences with Spinal Tab or General Anesthetic for c sec, regarding any problems post op that they exp with the anesthesia. I am tossing up on weather to go "under" or not for next del, as i had a horrific time with the epidural last birth.
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Ally, i had an epidural with my first and it made me quite sick for about an hour, with #2 i had a spinal which i found awful, it took them well over an hour to get it in and it made me feel terrible until the nurse gave me something to make me feel better.
    It's totally up to you what kind of anaesthetic you have, if i ever need another c-section, i would go with another epidural

Spinal Tap and epidural are different, so you have 3 options, I had a spinal tap, I found this to be good, its a one off needle, and wears off about 4 hrs post op, an epidural is like a drip into your spine, and can be topped up if needed for pain relief, of course the biggest downfall with a GA, is not seeing the birth, and most people experience nausea after a GA, babies are usually sleepier too. You need to discuss your needs/ wants with your Ob and go through all the pros and cons.

I had an epidural in & they used the same port to put the spinal in for the c/s. Unfortunately for me it took a while to take so I felt the initial incision & the pulling away of layers.... unfortunately as it was painful and uncomfortable and if I could have I would have jumped off the table.

I think if another emergency happens this time around I would definately go the spinal tap though, even with the horrific experience I had my daughter in my arms before I was in recovery & she was breastfeeding within 15 minutes of being taken out and that is more important to me than the few minutes of extreme pain.

lindie Guest

Hi I had the spinal and had a multitude of problems firstly 2 bent needles till they had the right spot then 2 bad reactions to the spinal anesthetic within 3 minutes and they were close to loosing me twice so it was pretty shocking if I had to have another c/s id go with the general, I know you dont get to see your baby being taken out but I hardly got to see Jett anyway as he was pretty much taken ASAP so I think that has tainted my perception of Ceasars? Maybe?

Lindie

I had a spinal and it all worked fantastically. Mind you I had a great husband and midwife who kept me focused while it was all going on. It went in first try and worked instantly. I will be having a ceasar with our next one too (suggested by my Ob) and I will go the spinal again.

I've had two spinals. No problem with either.

I had a spinal. No problems whatsoever. I hardly felt it going in and the effect was pretty much immediate.

The return of sensation was gradual and accompanied more by odd feelings rather than pain. I had restless legs and numbness in the feet for the first night but apart from that, it was pretty easy.

Kirsty77 Guest

I had an epidural to start with but it only numbed half my body!I could still feel on my right side.So I ended up having a spinal and no problems what so ever.If I have to have another c/s I'll be going the spinal again!!

I had a spinal and it was great, no side effects at all! I am absolutely HORRIFIED to hear that you felt things christy... even though mine was an emergency they still went through this strict routine to make sure I couldn't feel a thing! Gosh! I prefer the idea of a spinal rather general as I'd like to know whats going on (the control freak in me!) and I know general is alot more recovery time too which I'd rather not have. But its a personal thing, I have a friend who HATES anything to do with needles/blood gore etc and she could NEVER have a spinal she'd have to be under to cope iykwim? Everyone is different.

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

tiggy Guest

I had a general for my first caesarean and a spinal block for the second and forth.
    I found with the general, that I was knocked out for a few days and lost alot of my memory of that birth and everything surrounding it.
    When I had the first spinal block, it was quite dense and it was in a time where you had to lie still afterwards for 6 hours. I found it alot better though than the general, was alert and awake and remember everything. My only issue was that it was quite high up and for a while there I thought I was going to pass out.
    With my last caesar, the block was alot lighter, I could feel pushing and pulling but no pain. By the time I was wheeled out of recovery, I was able to sit in a semi recumbant position (which was fantastic as I got to go to the NICU to see my little ones).

I would advocate the spinal but like the other ladies have said, it is personal choice. You have to feel confident in your method of pain relief.