Thread: Caesarean

Default Caesarean

After i had Lily, i was recommended to have a c/section next time round. Well i don't feel this is at all nessecary and i just don't want one. But I know some doctors like the idea of it just to get you out of the way type thing. But can i refuse a c/secton if they say that's all they'll do? Or is it out of my hands?

angelickaren Guest

hi i am like you i had two births natrual but my first was 11 pounds and 2 oz and my second son was 13 pounds and 5 oz so i am due in june this year and my ob has talked to me about a c/ section i am not to keen on it at all but i guess the doctor knows best i guess i thought the same as you that he in my first visit said to me i think u should have a c/section i was just thinking why coz u get paid more but i have talk to him since and he has told me of problems i could have if i have another big baby so i am just going to wait a bit longer and decide. In your case it could be best for your baby to have one but talk to your ob and discuss it

I'd be finding out as much info as I could to be prepared for when this problem arises (because of a medical problem i'm assuming?). Unless there is significant danger to you and bubs, absolutely you have the last say in how you birth you baby.

Well it was because she had mild shoulder dystocia. But i was also laying on the bed so that could be why it happened.

Oh, i didn't have a c/secion, i was just recommended one for next time..

Shoulder dystocia can often have more to do with the positions during labour rather than the pelvis iykwim? Kelly has some great info on it!

You can refuse of course you can, and if you are going public they will shuffle you around till you get the ob that will support you.

How did you birth Lily?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Well with Lily i was trying to be active, but something about my cervix having a lip or something so i had to lay on my side for awhile til i was fully dilated. Then when pushing i was mainly on the toilet because the midwife said it helps to open my pelvis etc. Then i some how ended up on the bed again(don't remember at all how) and i remember saying i couldnt do it anymore, so the doctor got me to push and checked to see if her head was coming down at all, and it was but kept bouncing back up again as it was caught under my pubic bone which is why they used vacuum extraction. Then when her head was born they realised her shoulder was stuck so i had a midwife on either side of me pushing my legs up to get my pelvis open more and she was born. So she was only stuck for not even a minute.

Yep from what I've read lithotomy position (laying flat on your back) is one of the biggest causes of shoulder dyslocia and there are things you can do to prevent it in the future! I'll get kel to dig up some of her info...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks Cai. I just didnt feel in control of everything. I mean then main reason i was on the bed anyway was because her head got stuck and i've no idea why that would be? Since i was squating and everything and it still didn;t come out.

How you birth your baby is not out of your hands - An Ob may strongly recommend a course of action but even then the decision is purely your own. They can't force you to do anything. I am obviously no expert but I don't think your experience of Lily's birth is itself a good reason to have a c/s next time, especially since it may be that the shoulder dystocia could have been avoided by different positoning etc. When you are pg again you would need to discuss all that with your midwife or doctor.

Bon