Thread: caesarean because of small stature

perthmum Guest

Default caesarean because of small stature

Just a quick question! Has anyone else been informed they would require a caesarean just because they are short or small in general? My OB recommended throughout my pregnancy that I have a c/s because I'm 5" tall, although my pelvis was never actually measured to see if it would cope. I wondered if others had been recommended the same and, if so, did they have a c/s or normal birth. Surely there are many short woman having big babies naturally!!

My mum is 5"1, she managed to have two kids normally and I was 8lb 4oz.

I dont think your height has anything to do with the capacity of your pelvic muscles or the power of labour hormones!!
    I would be asking for more proof than just your height if you are worried. Thats a bit of a copout from your OB in my eyes, but I'm sure s/he can provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
    If not, I'm sure there are plenty of resources available that can help you do make your case.

My MIL is a tiny Chinese woman (barely 5 foot I would say) and she gave birth to 2 big babies naturally... one of them being DP who was 9lb 4oz!

TBH I really would be questioning what your OB is saying. If that is his only reason then it really does not seem appropriate at all that he should be recommending a c/s. Sadly it seems to be happening a lot these days though.
    But have faith in your body to be able to birth your baby as nature intended.
    I really do not think short stature comes close to being a valid reason to have a c/s.

iId be getting a second opinion - that seems like a ridiculous suggestion if u don't mind me saying so!!! I know plenty of 5" and smaller women who have coped fine - often better than larger/taller women with labour. Don't let them talk u into a c/s for a reason like that...unless they have more valid info.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's an absolute joke that someone can tell if you will need a caesarean just by looking at you. I would be questioning the care you are getting from this person and even looking elsewhere - can you imagine what it would be like in labour with this person and you aren't even there yet?! Also if by chance a genuine need comes up for a caesarean, you don't want someone saying 'I told you so...' and deflating your natural born abilities...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Can I ask how far along you are? Or do you have a family history of big babies or a very big husband?

I wouldn't think your baby would necessarily be big if you are only small. I'm 5"5 but only small in build and my ob wasn't at all concerned because my baby stayed fairly small the whole pg. She ended up being 5 lb 10 oz. The last u/s I had estimated her at over 6 lbs 2 wks before she was born, so I wouldn't be relying on u/s either!

My grandmother gave birth natually on the farm to 10 children, she was 5 foot and my grandfather is 6'2.

perthmum Guest

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sorry for the confusion, my baby was born 18 months ago (by c/s), but I had extreme complications (if you want, read my story in obstetricians negative experiences thread), and recently wrote to the OB about my complaints. I (finally) received a reply today and one of the reasons he states for me needing the c/s is the fact that I'm 5". I just think that is a cop-out for everything that went wrong and I wanted to check with other woman who may have beem in the same boat. I agree there is to much of OBs trying to take the easy way out and I hope my story proves that a c/s is NOT an easy option. Thanks!!

My best friend is very short and her OB also sited this as one of the reasons he wanted her to have a c-section (which she did have).
    I had to seriously bite my tongue, because she has such trust in this guy nothing I said would make any difference to her.
    But I agree with the other ladies that it is not a valid reason for a c/s.

I was never told when i was pg with Kimberley or Alexander that i would need a c-section because of my height. I did end up with c-sections with both of mine but that was for pre-eclampsia not because of how short i am.
    I've got a friend under 5ft and she's had 4 natural births.

Which hospital did you go to ?

Utter rot and absolute nonsense.

What cabbage was this obstetrician brought up under?

Like all these things, you have the absolute right to ask for the scientific evidence that backs up the statements your ob makes. If s/he is confident in their knowledge they will have no problem providing it to you and should do it with good grace, knowing that their client is trying to fully inform herself about her own body.

I think the stature reason given is suitable for formal complaint to be made.

Good luck with it all,

David

Interesting to read that you could be given such wrong information.
    I would complain, simply so that other women don't have to be subjected to the same ill-treatment you were given. My heart goes out to you and I hope the next time round you get better care.

I'd be interested to hear the actual reasons why the doctor would believe that being small lead to a c/s. Have they provided any reasons at all as to why?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzL
    I'd be interested to hear the actual reasons why the doctor would believe that being small lead to a c/s. Have they provided any reasons at all as to why?
    I think their general thinking is small/short body = small pelvis = too risky.
    Very scientific that.

God that makes me sooo cross!

My SIL is very small framed, similar to that of Kylie Minogue I'd say... She birthed 10lb'er and then went on to birth 7lber twins ! All vaginally!

Tell him to return his degree to the wheeties box he got it from!

*hugs*
    Cailin

what an absolute joke!! rest assured there are fruit loops out there!! Find yourself a Dr who actually cares...sounds like an easy option for him!!
    I have had 4 caesars but only because I actually have a small mid pelvis, been measured and everything!! i did try TOS after first one but he got stuck...
    My advise get a second opinion!!!

jan xx