Thread: Caesarians in public system

Default Caesarians in public system

Hi. My first (And only) child was 9lb 12oz vaginal birth. It was only 2 hours 50 mins and no drugs, but with 3rd degree tearing.

Does any one know if the public system may offer caesarian as an option for a subsequent 'large' baby?

I'm 6ft and hubby is 6ft 5', so I'm not of small stature. (Not that that probably matters)

We're not pg yet, but ttc # 2.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Shell,

It would depend on the hospital, however, your second baby may not be as big. Marisa was 6p110z and Elijah 5lb15oz. Also, there are things you can do for tearing, including being in water (supports the perineum) or being upright, not on your back in bed. Squatting is a good position for pushing. You can also have warm compresses and Ina May Gaskin has a great manuvure for preventing tearing, the picture is in her books. Third degree tears are much more common in hospitals than at home, but not to say third degree tears are going to happen all the time in hospital. I have posted some stats about it somewhere.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Kelly. Thanks for that info. I think I will have to get that book.

When I had Ella I was leaning over a bean bag up on the bed. Could that position have encouraged the tearing? It was certainly the most comfortable position for me, and everything progressed very fast, but maybe too fast for her size!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

When things happen fast, sometimes that can result in a tear - a good way to slow down if things are happening to fast for you is to assume the hands and knees position which takes that pressure off your cervix.

Ina May has a couple of books, I haven't finished reading Spiritual Midwifery yet but I think it might be in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I'll see what I can find out.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.