Yep, we had a fold out couch in our room which DH slept on. I sent him home the 2nd night when DS was still in the Special Care Nursery, but then DS roomed with us for the next three nights, I found it very comforting to have DH close by.
This time DH may stay the first night depending on what time of day bubs arrives (especially if late in the day/evening) however he wants to ensure he is there for DS while I attend to the newborn so we plan for him to spend the rest of the time with DS (who will stay at Nans the first night)
DH stayed the entire time when DS was born. DS was an emergency CS at 8.00pm at night, and I have no idea how I would've managed if he couldn't have stayed that night. I guess DS would have had to spend the night in the nursery because I was bedridden . I really liked have DH there with us, I think it really allowed him to bond with DS from the first minute and because I was bedridden I couldn't 'take over' so DH was able to build his confidence up from the beginning. I'm not sure that he would've got the opportunity if I had a VB.
This time we're booked in for a CS at 4.30pm (crappy time). So the plan is that DH will stay with us the first night so that bubs doesn't have to go to the nursery or I don't have to rely on the midwives. DS will stay at our place with his Pa. Then DH will go home first thing in the morning, take DS to childcare and then come in to be with me and bubs. He'll probably pick DS up early that day, bring him in for a visit and then stay the night with him. And will do that for the next few days until we're ready to come home. While I would love him to be able to stay, it's not fair on DS. But because DS will have CC at least he'll be able to spend most of the day with us and DS can do a couple of visits each day too. Thank goodness the hospital is 5 mins from home.
Bookmarks