Thread: Do I have to be really careful??

Default Do I have to be really careful??

I don't want to use the pill or anything, it stuffed up my cycle bad last time so I don't want to take it again until I'm finished having babies!! So that just leaves condoms, uck.

I'm dissapointed that because of the stupid c/s I can't just have another baby whenever I want, and what if it limits the amount I can have

Anyway, to the point. How long do I have to wait before TTC again?? I don't want to TTC now or anything, omg this one is hard enough!! lol. And we're not even DTD yet, lol. But I'm just thinking of not bothering too much with contraception. I am fully BF DD and plan to for at least a year so hopefully that will keep AF away And I will be on the lookout for any signs of O too.

BUT I don't want to do anything dangerous so I will definately use contraception until it's safe to get pregnant again if we happen to have a little surprise. So when is this? How long until it's safe to get pregnant again after a c/s? And is it longer if you want to try for a VBAC?

TIA!

I think they say 18 months between labours... so wait until bub is at least 9 months old before TTC to maximise chance of VBAC. BUT the scar is completely healed after I think 3 months so I (un-medical opinion here...) can't see a pregnancy being problematic after 3 months... I'm not sure how they choose '18 months' as the time limit though so

Yeah its 18 months minimum between labours for a VBAC apparently - but they can go either side of that - hell I'm going for a VBA2C and it won't be 18 months from my last one! (But just see them try and stop me!!!)

My sister had a year and 3 weeks between her sections - so she lost a baby in March 2007 (stillborn) and then got pregnant within a few months, and then had another csection in March 2008.

I had a c/sec for my first and my 2nd son was born VBAC 15 months later, we were careful until I saw my OB and asked when could we try for another bub, he said as long as I wasn`t pregnant in the first 6 weeks after birth I can have the next bub when I`m ready, so we went home and ditched the condoms and DTD when we felt like it I fell pregnant 5.5 months after my c/sec and that was with exclusively breastfeeding around the clock.

What the OB`s worry about the most is your recovery did you have any issues, infections, bleeding etc??? If you did off course you`d have to wait a bit longer then the 6 weeks I was told.

Have you asked your OB when your able to try for another bub????

My next baby will be a c/sec and as long as all goes well with my recovery we plan to repeat what we did 4 years ago after my first c/sec.

I had a c-section with DS and a VBAC 18 months later. We were fully breastfeeding and fell pregnant when he was 10 months old.

Thanks guys.
    No, I don't have an OB, I went through a birth centre type thing so only ever saw midwives except for when it was decided I needed the cs of course. He did come and visit me in hospital though and possibly told me when I could try again but I was so tired and out of it I don't remember anything he said

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    Yeah its 18 months minimum between labours for a VBAC apparently - but they can go either side of that - hell I'm going for a VBA2C and it won't be 18 months from my last one! (But just see them try and stop me!!!)
    Oi, oi, oi! Mel - you're pregnant?!?!? Congratulations!
    Sorry SJ, LOL. I reckon Leasha is right - anywhere else in the body your dr will tell you your scar will heal within a few months. For some reason Drs are just so very cagey about c/s scars (hence our country's VERY low VBAC rate).
    I reckon if you hunted around you'd find a supportive OB or midwife, even if you fell pregnant "too soon".
    However, maybe you could explore other methods of contraception? Like a diaphragm or something?

a diaphragm I think we have better alternative these days

I also hated the pill and condoms I agree with heaven YUCK my husband and I have never used them never will

check out this website What contraceptive are you?
    I have heard it about it on the radio maybe it can help work out what works for you

a diaphragm I think we have better alternative these days
    Well, if you "hate" the male condom so much and don't want a hormonal method of contraception, the only option you are aparently left with (aside from natural fertility methods, rhythm method etc) is an IUD. Personally, I don't think they are a better option. I don't like the way they are thought to work.
    I know many people who have diaphragms fitted and find them easy and convenient.
    IMO still worth considering.

Heaven- my sister just had her second c-section, and her OB told her she could have up to seven c-sections, so don't be worried about being too limited with the amount of babies you can have if VBAC doesn't happen next time around.