View Poll Results: When did you start driving after your caesarean?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 weeks or less

33 26.83%
  • 2-3 weeks

23 18.70%
  • 3-4 weeks

20 16.26%
  • 4-5 weeks

11 8.94%
  • 5-6 weeks

9 7.32%
  • After my 6 week post-natal check-up

23 18.70%
  • Longer than my 6 week check-up

4 3.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving after caesarean

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Driving after caesarean

I saw the discussion somewhere but I can't find it! Here is what I found on the UK caesarean organisation site:

How soon after a caesarean can I drive?

There is no set time before you can drive again. However, it is important that you are able to be in full control of the vehicle, and this would include being able to do an emergency stop, without hesitation due to pain or even the fear of pain.

There is also the issue of insurance, although most insurance companies will be able to reassure you that your cover would not be affected, it is worth making sure that yours is not an exception. Occasionally companies will advise getting written comfirmation from a doctor that you are fit to drive.

Most women do not feel fit to drive for a few weeks after a caesarean, and it has been common for women to be informed not to drive for 6 weeks. It is likely that this advice was linked to the timing of the routine postnatal follow up appointment which used to take place around 6 weeks after the birth. Providing you are recovering well, and that you have checked your insurance cover, it may be possible to drive safely before this time.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I was told by our insurance that I wasn't allowed to drive until the 6 week check because that is what the hospital physio told me.

beastie Guest

i hope we're talking about driving a car (otherwise i missunderstood )

i drove 6 days later from hospital at home. an then to the supermarket, to the doc and so on.
    hubby hadnt a driving licence at that time.
    and i dont know, why i shouldnt. my scar is 12 centimetres at most and my pain had gone after 2 days.
    and nobody told me not to drive..
    Last edited by beastie; September 4th, 2006 at 08:12 AM.

I waited until my 6 week check up, same as Christy our insurance doesn't cover anyone that has had abdominal surgery until 6wks after.

I had no choice - had to drive to the NICU to feed my dd everyday!!! It was only 5 mins from home and i drive an auto so it wasn't too bad

3-4 weeks - my DH is a shift worker who could only rearrange so many shifts. I had heaps of doctors appts so I had to get there somehow.

the hosp told me not to drive till after 6 weeks (or do housework) so i took great advantage of both! i didnt check the insurance to see about cover though DP is an insurance broker & he didnt say i couldnt

Last edited by Bec77; January 12th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.

I drove 2 weeks later. I found it funny that in our handout from the hospital it stipulated no heavy housework like sweeping or vaccuming for 6 weeks but driving was ok after 2. Thankfully I was fine by then anyway.

Jo

just under 2 weeks for me.... I felt fine. I did check with the health nurse first tho, as my c/section info said 6 weeks.

Debbie Lee Guest

I voted for the 2-3 weeks... though I think it may have been a little before 2 weeks?
    I started off just with short trips (to the supermarket etc.) when Neil was home with Gab. I'd go out just by myself (which felt weird in itself!).
    I was pretty nordy and didn't call my insurance company to find out whether I was covered or not. I wouldn't, however, have driven if I felt in any way like I couldn't handle the car or be able to brake. I also drive an automatic with power steering so I imagine that helps

Kirsty77 Guest

JUst under 2 wks for me to. I felt really good once my staples were taken out. For memory I drove myself to the hospital to have them out!

it was just under 2w for me, i had to drive to hospital to see my daughter every day... I didnt have to worry about stitches or anything, my wound was lasered or glued shut (i'vd been told 2 different things!!) Same as Deb, i have an auto with power steering, i wouldnt have done it with an older car where i had to put some muscle into driving...

Debbie Lee Guest

I wonder if the way you're stitched up can affect your confidence with driving aswell?? I had those dissolvable stitches. A friend that was at the hospital at the same time had staples and they looked aweful. I was so glad i didn't have to go thru that! Taking off the steri-tape was tough enough!! LOL

I had staples & they were taken out 5 days after the c/s.

Debbie Lee Guest

Was it uncomfortable, Sarah??

Ive had staples too but no way were they ready at 5 days...think it was 10. I can remember in the end they were bloody annoying!

Jo

Debbie Lee Guest

I wonder why some people have staples and other have the dissovable ones? Is it up to the doctor??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast