thread: Elective C/S and help re:RNSH

Apr 2009

Elective C/S and help re:RNSH

Hi Ladies,

My name is Claudia and this is the first time ever i have posted on here, so please forgive me if i have done anything wrong...

A couple of years ago ( Dec 2006) I had to have an emergnancy C/S which all in all went great, it was a positive experience, I am now pregnant again with my 2nd baby and i have gone back to Mona Vale hospital, but they have told me due to many changes that i may have to be transfered to royal north shore hospital (public) due to my BMI being a little high, they dont know for sure if i will be transfered or not but they want me to be prepared for that to happen.
    I'm not even 100% sure if i'm having another C/S which to be honset i prefer to have, midwives at MV has told me its up to me what i choose.

I was wanting to know if anyone has had a elective C/S at RNSH and how they found it, i was also wondering do C/S patients get thier own room and are the beds there electric or do you need to call for a nurse to come help you lift your bed (if manual)
    I was also wondering about the parking, if i end up having to go there for my monthly visits do you get a parking pass or do you need to pay and as i know my husband will want to visit for a few hours at a time when i do have bub's, does he get a pass or does he need to pay too...

Sorry ladies for all the questions, i'm just very nervous that i may have to change hospitals as i didnt expect this to happen and any advice, feedback you can give me will be very appreciated, thanks everyone.

Claudia.

Oct 2004
    Sydney

Hello! Why would having a high BMI mean that MV cant take you? Thats a bit odd.. unless is MV a low risk unit and they are considering you high risk because of your BMI?

I had my daugher at RNSH in 2007 so I can tell you how it was then but it may have changed since then! I didnt have a C/S though.

No, C/S patients generally do not get their own room. If you're a public patient you just get whatever room they have, usually a shared room. They are double rooms and single rooms. Usually they give the single rooms to people who's baby is in NICU, special care, or if you are a private patient. The beds there were the manual ones, I think. They might have fancy ones in some rooms, but I definately had a manual one and the other lady in my room had the same type of bed as me as I remember her calling in the nurse to get her to put the bed up.

No, you dont automatically get a parking pass. You have to pay for the parking. When you are in the hospital, you can buy a weekly parking thing which lets you come in and out as many times as you want during the week. We got one for 3 days and I think it was about $30. You can sometimes get free parking in the road that goes down the side of the TAFE next to the hospital, or sometimes in Reserve Road (on the other side of the hospital to the highway side.. if you're husband is keen enough to walk up the hill), but not always. They have half-hour parking which you dont need to pay for, but if you are there for even just 31 minutes you need to pay, so you can really only park in the half hour parking if you know you will be less than half an hour in your appointment. Every time I;ve gone there and parked in the half-hour parking theres always a security person hanging aroung hassling me about how long I'm going to be..

hope this helps?

Apr 2009

thanks

Hi Katrina,

Thanks so much for your information it has helped me a great deal.
    I'm not to sure why MV have to send me to RNSH, i never had this problem with my son, maybe it is a low risk hospital and i'm a high risk patient, but the midwife told me that i may not have to transfer but just to bear in mind i might.
    As for that parking pass you were telling me that was like $30 for 3 days thats pretty good, it works out cheaper than having to pay thier carpark daily rates. So thanks for that if i do end up there i will make sure to get one for my Hubby.

At MV hospital you get your own private room if you have a c/s regardless if you are private or public patient, so thanks for letting me know this is not the case at RNSH. As for the bed being manual that doesnt really bother me either as they are manual at MV aswell i was just more curious about it more than anything.

Thanks Katrina for all your help.
    Claudia.

Oct 2004
    Sydney

Yeah you get the parking pass at the security office which is on Level 3 of the big brown building, near where the chemist is.

I dont know, maybe the private room thing has changed. It was 2 years ago that I went and the other lady in my room had a c/s.

Anyway, hope it all works out well for you.

Apr 2009

Thanks for letting me know where the security office was, i was going to send you a message to ask you and forgot all about it (baby brians)

Thats ok about the private rooms, i dont really mind sharing to be honest, i only have to be there for a short while so i can defiantly live with that.. I'm going back to MV in a few weeks time after i have my 19 week scan so i'm sure i will know more then. If i end up being transferred i will let you know.
    Once again thanks for your help, i actually feel better about moving to RNSH (if need be) after reading your post.
    Claudia

May 2009

I had an scheduled c-section at RNSH in January. I was originally meant to have a baby at North Shore Private but had to be transferred due to the fact that baby was going to be premature and very small. I was very apprehensive about changing hospitals, but found the whole experience very positive and can't speak highly enough about the care I received.

I did have a private room but as mentioned in a previous post this was probably because I was a private patient, had been on the ward as an antenatal patient and also had a baby in the NICU. The shared rooms look quite large and comfortable anyway so hopefully it won't be too bad for a few days. The beds are manual but I found the staff were very helpful and responsive so it wasn't a drama.

A 7 day discount parking pass costs $43 so is quite good value.

Apr 2009

Hi There,
    Thankyou so much for all your info, its nice to be reassured by others... I feel better about having to transfer if need be, my hospital hasnt told me i have to yet, they are justing keeping an eye on me for now and see how i go..
    My neighbour works there so she has also reassured me too, which is great.
    Thanks so much for your help and i will keep you all posted once i know more, dont go back for an appointment for another 2 weeks, so will speak to my midwife then.
    Claudia

Apr 2009

I had an scheduled c-section at RNSH in January. I was originally meant to have a baby at North Shore Private but had to be transferred due to the fact that baby was going to be premature and very small. I was very apprehensive about changing hospitals, but found the whole experience very positive and can't speak highly enough about the care I received.

I did have a private room but as mentioned in a previous post this was probably because I was a private patient, had been on the ward as an antenatal patient and also had a baby in the NICU. The shared rooms look quite large and comfortable anyway so hopefully it won't be too bad for a few days. The beds are manual but I found the staff were very helpful and responsive so it wasn't a drama.

A 7 day discount parking pass costs $43 so is quite good value.
    Hi there,
    I was wondering if i could trouble you girls for some info, both you ladies helped me last time with a few questions and i have a silly one for you, i'll be having my baby this Friday via c/s and i just wanted to know if the rooms have tv's?? I haven't been able to go for the tour unfortunately as the Sundays i was free they were totally booked so i have no idea what the rooms are like and if they have a tv, any info would be great thanks girls and sorry to bug you again....
    BM.