Thread: elective C/S: its time for a name change

Default elective C/S: its time for a name change

I was just thinking that the name 'elective C/S' should be changed to 'scheduled C/S'. So many people don't elect ceasareans but have them as a matter of medical nessescity and the term elective implies a choice that may not exist and IMO probably contributes to the whole 'too posh to push' perception that alot of people have of scheduled C/S's.......

Great idea Dach, I think a change is needed. I have to remember that term if we have a 2nd.

That is a good thought.
    I am sure that a lot of women would appreciate that!

My c/s was necessary for my health during birth of my DD. I would think that if I am required to do it again it would be because it is 'necessary' & thus be scheduled.

I totally agree, would make a lot of women feel a lot better. I know I will be having a c/s with this baby as I had a damaging first birth with DD. I'm not to posh to push, but secretly after last birth I am looking forward to not doing it again, even if I am highly anxious about a c/s.

Love

Pietta Guest

I TOTALLY agree Dach!!

I could not agree more if i tried!!

That is a brilliant idea Dach!

With so many ignorant people thinking that a c/s is the easy way out, calling it elective makes it sound like you're ticking it off on some sort of birth menu, rather that it being a medical necessity.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Dach, I have emailed your post to a midwifery group I am part of, will be interesting to hear their responses.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Great idea, just have to convince those doctors to use the new name!

Kel, if you don't mind me asking, can I ask what you mean that your pelvis isn't in the right position?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I am SO sorry, misskel, would you mind posting again, I was deleting the double up on your post, however another Mod was doing it at the same time, so BOTH were accidently deleted! I am really sorry about that....

Great idea Dach.

I hate the word Elective C/s being used for Matthew`s Birth as for me it was not an elective if I was able I would have had a natural labour I was advised on a c/s due to a number of factors:

# Size Of Matthew
    #Wasn`t engaged @ 40 weeks, 6 days
    # CPD diagnosed via CT scan plus I have some type pf deformity of my tailbone which may have been the cause of Matthew not being able to engage.
    #Cervix was still tightly closed, needed a crowbar to try to open it LOL
    #position of Matthew`s head was not favorable for a natural delivery

To me this was not an elective c/s, it was a necessary for both my baby`s and my own welfare, when Matthew was delivered I was told by a number of the theatre staff that there was no way he would have got out any other way his head was at such an awkward angle.

So a name change is a great idea and sorry about my ramble.

lindie Guest

Im with the new name all the way!!! I have had 2 babies with no stitches or pain relief etc... totally natural deliveries and have felt so proud and good within myself for this. With this baby I HAVE to have a c/s and its all medical so its not in my idea Elective more compulsory as yes it does make you sound like you are just trying to make life easier. Although from this great forum I am now fully prepared (Kinda) for whats to come. Thank-you for such a great idea.

Lindie

Pietta Guest

I would be really interested to find out what that midwife group says Kelly

Here's a reply from one of the midwives:

"I have thought this for years but seeing how hard it is to eliminate Failure to Progress from the OB language I think it would be harder to change ELective CS to Scheduled CS or Booked CS."
    Kelly xx

Dach - great post!

As someone who is having a caesar in less than 3 weeks it makes me feel happy that there are people out there with an open mind.

Sure, I love the thought of natural childbirth but for me that simply was not an option. I knew from a young age it would be difficult for me to carry a child (as I have had spinal injuries) pain free and a c/s was always going to be the safest option so for me a c/s is not elective but a nescessity!!!

Horah for the use of "scheduled c/s".

I just wish more people out there would be understanding... grrrrr to those who are not!!!

Yep, it would be a great idea to be able to change it but it is really the whole public hospital system you would have to change as it originates from there. I have worked in hospitals for 23 years and know that, here in Victoria, we have only two types of admissions either elective or emergency. Elective is anything that is scheduled. That can mean a heart bypass or a knee replacement or anything. Often these are also things people don't want to have but circumstances have forced them upon them. so for lots of things the word elective is very misleading, but especially for c/s, it should be scheduled or planned.

I totally agree!!

Debbie Lee Guest

I totally agree, Dach! Well said...

While we are at it... I want "perceived low supply" deleted too.... I wasn't just imagining the fact that I had hardly any milk... there bloody-well wasn't any!! Grrrrr!

What's that other lovely term, too? Incompetant Cervix.... I've heard of that one before... what a horrible way to put it!