thread: Filming a caesarean birth

Aug 2004
    Melbourne

Filming a caesarean birth

Just wondering if anyone has filmed their caesarean births and how it was done, who it was done by - where you had your baby etc.

I am thinking about filming this time around. This is my 3rd birth, my 3rd caesarean and will be my last, and I am feeling a bit like this is the only chance I will get to see one of my babies being born.

DH is not too keen on seeing the process up close, so that rules him out for filming it. There are soooo many people in the room for a caesarean that I wonder if there could be the option of having a hospital orderly or nurse or someone not directly involved in the birth film it - or otherwise have another 'support' person in the room who could film it?

Also has anyone used mirrors at all to have a view of when the baby is actually pulled out - not the whole process, I don't think I could stomach watching that in real time as it was happening to me, after the event seems a lot easier on the stomach (so to speak!)

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

You may have problems getting permission to do this, because it is a surgical procedure and its video evidence of possible mistakes if you know what I mean so some hospitals wont allow it, some won't allow video footage of vb's either. So I would check it all out and find out possible options from there

Dec 2006
    Brisbane

Yep we got a big fat NO when we asked as well. Well 3 times make that!!

Dec 2007
    Victoria

We couldve filmed ours...

I had an emergency cs with an epi, and DH brought the camera in. There was actually a nurse in there who took the camera to take photos for us, and spent the entire procedure taking pictures have some great guts photos lol)

But they said nothing about NOT filming..we mentioned it, but I didnt want it filmed in the end, so we just did heaps of photos.

I say dont ask. Just start filming...if they say no you have them denying you the right to film the birth of your child...then they will have to say why. No doctor wants to go on tape saying "you cant film this in case we screw up and you can sue us" lol

Jul 2007
    melb

Most places wont let you film for legal reasons, and doing so without asking is rude and disrespectful of the OB and theatre staff.

Ask the worst they can say is no, maybe ask if you can have a mirror so you can watch.

I have some great cs pics taken by mw.

Oct 2005
    near the ocean

we had a nurse who was present at our c-section take our camera and spent the entire time taking pics for us. we were also asked if we wanted to view our bub being pulled out, i didn't want to see but Dh did and got to stand up and watch it over the sheet.
    i've heard you can ask to have the sheet lowered so you can view your bub being born, but i don't think many will video record it due to legal reasons.
    not sure what the difference between a video recorder and camera is though when you think about it.

Jun 2008
    Tassie

our hospy didn't allow it. We weren't allowed to even take photos of the stitches as it was a 'medical procedure' so your better off asking before getting your hopes up.

Apr 2009
    Canberra

[QUOTE=min;1768254]Just wondering if anyone has filmed their caesarean births and how it was done, who it was done by - where you had your baby etc.I am thinking about filming this time around. This is my 3rd birth, my 3rd caesarean and will be my last, and I am feeling a bit like this is the only chance I will get to see one of my babies being born.

We managed to film our last CS but we used a Camera which has a 3 min video function...its not the best quality but it shows him coming out and being rushed to the baby crib ( he was a 31 weeker)...I have the clip on my desktop and have a bit of a weep every now and then! Also I now show him (as he is 4)

My hubby asked the Dr if it would be OK while we were being prepped and he agreed, he just stayed back from the docs while he did it...I guess the only bad part is that he was so busy filming he wasnt near me to hug or kiss when bub was born

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2009

Good luck. I know at our hospital they wont allow anyone to film births especially not C/S. I think you have the right to film your birth but most hospitals are the same. Its because they don't want evidence if one of the surgons do something wrong then you have evidence for litigation. Totally stupid when if they do something wrong you have every right to lidigate. Its about protected themselves. Good luck hope you can film it. If you can maybe they will allow you to set it up in the theatre somewhere with a birds eye view!