Thread: gentler options for c-sections

Default gentler options for c-sections

Obviously a c-section isn't an ideal way to give birth and by starting this thread I'm not trying to promote them as an easier option. For a few weeks during this preganacy I was facing the prospect of a c-section and some other posts I have read recently have also got me thinking about what some gentler options might be for a c-section - for both mother and baby.

I thought that this post really illustrated how an ob can make a c-section a more fullfilling experience.
    The c/s went very well and my beautiful, beautiful ob made the whole thing a wonderful and memorable experience by his caring attitude and his absolute attention to me throughout the whole thing, from holding my hand while they gave me all the injections, drips, etc and supporting me and holding my forehead while they did the (first) spinal (I needed two...). The atmosphere was light-hearted and we were quite chatty, although I was nervous. Anthony came in after I was all ready to go and my ob made sure I could see Lucy being delivered by dropping the screen and giving her to Anthony as soon as she had a blanket wrapped around her. I would have been able to hold her except it was freezing cold in the theatre and I had four blankets on me!! So Anthony laid her next to me so our faces were touching and we had some lovely photos taken. She fell asleep almost straight after delivery, which was probably an indication of her easy-going personality! She was back in my room after I spent half an hour in recovery and we breastfed straight away.
    I geuss that other options might be music in the operating room, being allowed more than one support person, being able to see the birth via a lowered screen (or even a mirror if you have a strong stomach). I have even read about a woman lifting her baby out herself but I'm not sure how much upper body strenght you might need for that to be practical.

I would think that if you're having a scheduled c-section that its one time that it really might be worthwhile to be pushy about what you want.

Good topic, I have often wondered about this, as I have been advised to have a c-section next time and have felt a bit left out when the gentle birth options are talked about.

Couldn't watch it myself, even though DH will. I do certainly want to make it a nicer experience than last time.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have actually heard of an Ob who was also happy to oblige with a Lotus Birth during a caesarean too, so that is possible if you are that way inclined. I know Lionel Steinberg in VIC will do caesars with the screen down and offer a more gentle caesar.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Great topic. I had a terrible birth experience (c/s) due to a very uncaring OB, which i believe contributed greatly to my PND (long gone now, woohoo!) and as I will be having another Caesar, we are definately doing things differently this time. Just because we have c/s doesnt mean that we can't be involved in the whole thing, and make choices as to how we want our birth environment to be (to a certain extent, it is a sterile environment don't forget)

i have been considering the mirror option, would probably close my eyes while they are making the initial incisions, dont know if i could watch that part.

Kelly - I know there is not much point for a birth attendant at a scheduled c-section, but what about support after the birth. For me I like the idea of having a consistent person for a few visits once I have returned home. Someone who actually cares and is not rushing off to the next visit(saying that, some of the midwives/MCHN's that visited were great, but others not so) Even support before the before would be appreciated. I dunno, I kind of like the idea of having someone around who is there for me and the bubs.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep you can get post-natal doulas - a great one in Melbourne is Melanie Cane who works with lots of post-natal mums as there seems to be quite the calling for it. She has supported mums having caesars, getting the room ready for her return, helping with breastfeeding support, debriefing, and of course when you get home. It's such a great idea, no matter what birth you have had!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I firmly believe that there are more gentle options for c/s mums. When Matilda was born, DH was well informed as was the midwife who went into theatre with me. I went through a team of midwives at the hospital and they knew what I wanted prior to birth. In theatre the curtain was lowered before I asked for it to be put up as I didn't want to see what was happening... DH watched though and when Matilda came out she was put straight into DH's arms who then showed her to me and then took her to the side of the theatre where he took off his top and had skin to skin with her while they did all the tests. When finished she was brought straight back to me and laid on my chest. While they were still finishing stapling, Matilda was placed on my breast and started feeding straight away. She then stayed with me in recovery for the 30 minutes and then straight to our room.

This time around I will be preparing 2 birth plans, on for if there has to be a c/s and one for my VBAC.

Due to the nature of my c-section, no gentle options were offered, so it has me very concerned with regards to what will happen if there is a next time, especially since I will be a public patient and not have choice of obs etc. Whilst some people have choice I believe others do not.

I'm so sorry to hear that Astrid. I was a public patient with an emergency c/s but I think because Matilda wasn't in distress I was given my options?

This is a great topic Chloe! I like you Astrid, feel a bit on the outer when it comes to gentle birth. I would love to watch the birth with a mirror, not sure if my OB would allow it, but I'll definately ask!

I also think post birth doulas are a fantastic idea! I would have loved one - esp with b/f!

Astrid, I went public and still had a private OB, he had his own rooms away from the hospital, and pretty much just delivers the babies there., I think it just depends on the hospital.

Astrid I have had all my bubs as a public patient, but have had private obs each time, one charged $10 out of pocket for each visit ( you got the bill once bub was born) so he cost $60 for one bub, and nothing for the other ( I had a healthcare card at that time) My other one was a once off fee of $180 ( 70 back from medicare) So can be done!!!!

Loving this topic as well

I have taken some of the ideas Cailin had if she needed a repeat c/s because I thought they were great

* Epidural so I can remain conscious
    * I want to be told what's happening as it happens (this didn't happen last time I had no idea what was going on)
    * I want the cord to pulsate for as long as possible
    * I want the baby to be given to me as soon as possible (I didn't get to hold Zander for over an hour )
    * I want to be able to feed the baby ASAP, while still in theatre if possible and I don't want the baby taken away unless absolutely necessary
    * Oral Vitamin K