Thread: Has anyone had or is having their 4th caeser?

sajemsha Guest

Smile Has anyone had or is having their 4th caeser?

Hi I've had 3 elective caesarians. All my girls were laying sideways before been born. I'm now pregnant with my fourth baby and I'll be having another elective with this one. I'm really excited about having another baby, but really scared about another caeser, but as they say once in there they have to come out.

I was wondering if anyone is have their fourth (or more) ceaser or has had one and what was your experience?

I'm 10 weeks pregnant!
    Thanks Rose

hi rose,i have had 3 c.sections due to a small pelvic and am booked in to have my fourth on the 18th of this month.i had trouble healing up after the last one having to go to the dr every other day for 2 weeks to have dressings as it kept coming open and was infected.not sure how this one will go as there is only 15 months between the 2 babies.so we will see.i will have to try and take it easy but that is not easy with 4 children to look after,dh will take 2 weeks off to give me a hand this time,last time i only had him home for 2 days.
    nikki

I'm only just going in to have my 3rd but would like to know how you get on.

I was abot to post this exact question.
    Dp and i arn't planning on having any more anytime soon, but my gp told me that since i'd had 3 already, i'm not allowed to have any more, but my ob said i can have 5???
    Anyway, will be looking closely at this thread

Well, I asked a similar question as I have now had 3 c-sections and this is number 4 for me,,,and was told at my booking in, that the record for Lismore Base hospital is 10 c-sections!!!!!!! I almost dropped dead when I was told this!!
    Funny you say that about your last one Nicole, as my last one was also got infected and the wound broke down. I had to have midwives for 2 weeks straight come to my house everyday to redress it for me as i lived 20 minutes out of town. I have requested a course of antibiotics this time, and the hospital have agreed to it, as i cant risk another infection again.

I have had two c sections and my midwife very 'rudely' explained to me that I was only allowed to have 4!! She was trying to convince me to have a VBAC with my last bub. Wasnt really the right time to tell me when I was being wheeled out of my room and heading towards theatre! No tact!...

My mum had 4 as well, but I don't know any specific details. I do know though that they told her 3 only but she wanted her boy (had 3 girls then a boy), but also her last was 21 years ago, so alot may have changed.

tiggy Guest

I've had three caesars and one laparotomy (cut up and down through the skin and muscle and horizontally through the uterine layers. My last one (a caesar) was really very straight forward and have to say it all felt quite numb down in that area so not alot of pain for me. Also healed well.

My Uncle is one of 7 kids, and his mum had c/s for most, if not all of them. At least 5.

I think the old rule of only 3 or 4 allowed, was for the vertical cut from belly button to public bone, as the muscles and uterus healed much slower, and more damage, or a rupture could be done alot more easily if you went into labour after one. But with the bikini cut of modern c-sections, i dont think that rule applies much anymore??

sajemsha Guest

Smile Thanks for your replies

Hi everyone,

It's amazing the conflicting advice you get on how many caesarians a person can have. After my third caeser I was told that I could have one more, the dr said each time you have a caeser they check you to see if you could have another and it depends on how well you healed after the last one. Then again some dr's just say only have 3. Who knows, either way I'm having one more.
    With my first 2 caesers I got infections, I was in pain and on antibiotics for weeks after them, I had staples with my first, never again I found them the worst, then I had stiches with my second and they're just as bad, one of the stiches came out, OUCH. But with my third I had no infection, it took me a week to recover and be pain free and I had internal desolveable stitches, I'm not sure if the type of stitches made a difference, maybe it was a change of hospitals, either way I'm going to get the desolveable ones again this time.
    It will be great finding out how everyone goes, I'll post my story when the time comes, but it's a while off yet
    Take care Rose

I know a lady who has had 6 C/S. The doctors do not recommend having large families when you require a C/S because with each c/s you leave scar tissue. But stay positive it has been done many times!
    My friends' c/s were all successful and her abdominal area still has good muscle tone. (She swears by doing gentle abdominal exercises 12 weeks after birth. Infact she says her exercise routine exists of ...holding her stomach muscles in: at every red light, whilst washing up, and doing the lauundry)

Worth keeping in mind for after baby comes.

Cant talk from experience, but my sister just had her 4th 4 months ago. She tells me it was fine, she had no problems at all, just the same as all the other c sections shes had.

Also, one of the midwives we had told us that she has had 6 c sections without a problem!