12

thread: How well did you recover in the 6 weeks after your c-section? What was the pain like?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jun 2009
    913

    I was in pain for pretty much 6 weeks, but looking back I think I tried to do too much, didn't get a massage when I needed it (terrible back pain), and didn't take the pain relief I should have. So look after yourself hun.

    Also remember the morphine (in your drip) can make you nauseous - not much fun throwing up with a c-section wound. Actually, it was excruciating. So be careful what you eat post-op!

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    1,350

    Could some one explain how the catherer works . Do they put it in in the theatre ? Does it hurt ? Is the catheder attached to a bag or something (sorry I honestly didnt realise you had one until I read this thread )

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jul 2009
    2,109

    They put mine in after the spinal and in theatre. I didn't feel a thing. The catheder is attached to a bag which sits on the side of your hospital bed but honestly........I never saw it because it only stays in for 24 hours max and then they get you up and showered. During those first 24 hours you are on pain killers and for a chunk of the time can't sit up and are mostly flat. It was a big concern to me about my CS but it was really no big deal.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    1,350

    Thank you ! That makes heaps of sense that they would do it after a spinal and in theatre .

    It's been really good reading postive advice as I personally have been worried about it all, a lot !

    Another question .. if your flat on your back and are mostly flat and on strong painkillers : how can you breastfeed and if not breastfeeding, can you hold your baby ?

  5. #5

    Jan 2008
    3,107

    I had my c section under GA and they didn't wait to put mine in. I felt it but it wasn't too bad. As far as recovery. I was out of bed the next day and had a shower etc. I used my painkillers for awhile. I went home after not even 2 days though. I think if I had actually had a baby to care for I would have sucked it up more but seeing as I didn't I lounged around more than I should have I think.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Add EsJay on Facebook

    Jan 2009
    Hunter Valley
    609

    bengal i bf'd dd laying down the first night and the first feed was at the breast crawl so she was on top of me (in recovery) then after i had gotten up for the first time i pretty much either got up in the bf chair or hit the button to prop the bed up and fed her sitting up in bed (does anyone else think of homer simpson when they use that button thingy to prop the bed up and back down - bed goes up bed goes down lmao) but i did feed her laying down overnight some nights just so i didnt have to get up (the nurses or dh put her in bed with me). You wont feel it going in, and coming out i didnt feel a thing either. All of my friends irl who have had a vaginal birth with an epi have had a catheter in too so i assume this is pretty standard when you cant get up to go to the loo. hth

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Dec 2010
    Melbourne
    211

    (does anyone else think of homer simpson when they use that button thingy to prop the bed up and back down - bed goes up bed goes down lmao)
    HAHAHA!! Yes!!!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Add sepata on Facebook

    Sep 2011
    Sydney
    615

    I haven't had one, but I just wanted to poke my nose in and say be careful about driving too soon as you may be uninsured if you drive before the 6 or 8 week mark. Definitely read your PDS or check with your insurer if they have a clause for driving after surgery

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Jul 2005
    Sydney
    7,896

    That's generally not true. Insurers usually need you to have medical clearance. My ob okayed me as soon as I could emergency brake, which was after two weeks.

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Dec 2010
    Adelaide (North East)
    2,047

    Re driving, I rang my insurance company, and they didn't have any restrictions on when I could drive and be covered, but they advised me to get verbal confirmation from my doctor just in case.

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Dec 2006
    Melbourne
    3,737

    I was up and about walking within 8 hours after the c section, I just cracked it and wanted to see my baby girl who was in the scn. The midwives were surprised at how well I was moving around while in the hospital, but I was determined! The recovery at home slowed a bit until I had a stitch that was too tight cut and then I was able to get around easily. The hardest part for me was no driving because dd was still in the scn. I had very little pain once the stitch was fixed, but I was careful with the no lifting. I was back driving at 2.5 weeks after a check up with my gp. My bleeding stopped at around 2 weeks but af was back at 4 weeks. Once dd was home I carried her in a sling to avoid getting the pram in and out of the car. Being a premmie with hip dysplasia we had appointments every few days, in a way i think it helped my recovery as I just had to keep moving.

12