thread: May need a caesarean for my twins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Moderator

    Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville
    3,736

    Right I have 4ish weeks for twin a to turn heads down so that I can have a vaginal birth, but at this point both twins are either breech or transverse and the Ob has started to mention that by 32 weeks they will have run out of room to turn.

    So now after 6 vaginal births I have to look at the facts that I'm looking very likely to have a c-sect. So I need to know what happens in the operation, I'm a very need to know details person. I also would like to know what can and can't be done as I'm trying to write up my birth plan. Also I would like to know with an elective c-sect how do you pick your childs birth date, it just feels wrong to me at this point.

    Thank you in advance.
    You said the dr thinks they will run out of room - choosing the date might sort of be taken out of your hands if that makes sense. The dr (if you are taking his/her advice) might give you a choice of only one or two days and so it's not so hard. I do have a mum in my mothers group who was scheduled for a cs and she changed to the day before because her mother told her the original date was bad luck!!

    Also my hospital had a full spread fact sheet what cs involved and what choices (if any) you had and lots and lots of other information.

    I had a breech baby and was incredibly reluctant to have a cs and I knew nothing about them. I found the hospitals information helpful as well as a nurse there who I rang regarding how to cope with the situation, she talk to me about a few. It was easier than spending hours on the internet getting upset!

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Aug 2012
    51

    PP'd have given some great advice. Also Look up a mother / baby friendly caesarean on Google or youtube.

    Hospital staff will tell you how they usually do things. This is based on a combination of medical evidence as well as their policies, procedures, routines and traditions. If you want something different to 'standard procedure' there is no reason you can't educate them to do it differently. Some parts of surgery are necessary for the health and safety of the mother and baby and some parts are done just out of tradition ('this is how we always do it'), for example, skin to skin contact immediately following a caesarean birth is not typically the 'done thing' in Australian hospitals, as babies are whisked off to be weighed, measured and cleaned. This doesn't mean that it is the better way, or the safer way of doing it just because that is what is typically done.

    Good luck with everything! I attempted a vaginal birth of a single breech baby, and ended up with a c section as baby was not descending, I hope your babies are more cooperative than mine was!

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Nov 2005
    Where the heart is
    4,360

    Oh, Amanda, I wish you the best in your researchings!
    If close to the date they really put the pressure on and you need to look at the c-section scenario you will be all worded up and be able to have a birth plan that still respects what you want to have happen right afterwards, so that you have a beautiful birth.
    Let the doctors' words wash over you, do your own research and go easy on yourself, please xxx
    (you may not recognise my new username, and if you don't I'm the Junie who did HypnoBirthing )