Thread: Older Children Allowed in Theatre?

Default Older Children Allowed in Theatre?

Hi - I've started thinking about the kind of birth I want - it will be an elective c-section. Have not had one before, having had 3 natural births (the last one going wrong, hence my elective c-section this time around). My Dh will be in the theatre with me - but I would really love my other two children to be there as well. They will be nearly 9 and 11 years old. Of course, I will ask my Ob when I next see him, but just wondered if anyone knew of this being possible? Have any of you had older children with you?

Thanks, Lee

TBH I really don't think it would be allowed. And I'd be really worried of the impact on the kids, but then I dunno maybe if the kids were prepared for it. But I'm just not sure of health & safety regulations.

ETA: Also having had a emerg/cs myself my husband found it quite disturbing in parts, I asked him if he thinks it would be ok for kids, he says no way.

The theatre is a pretty busy place for a c-section. For mine I had a surgeon, an ob, a peadiatrician, my midwife, the aneasthetist, the aneasthetist's nurse, a peadiatric nurse, 2 theatre nurses and a couple of other people (not sure what they were doing). All these people have very specific jobs and places to be - in the event of something going wrong they need to be able to move around quickly. A crowd in the theatre would hamper this. This is the reason that most hospitals have policies that only one support person is allowed.

TBH I don't think that I would want my children seeing it. A c-section is pretty rough - they push the baby out as well as pulling and there are lots of wierd squishy sucky noises.

ETA - If there were any complications it would be pretty scary for your children.

I'm with the others - I'd be very surprised if they were allowed - numbers wise if nothing else. The theatres I've had my two in tend to be places of limited places and movements - so much so that hubby is right in beside your head and often no where else unless directed and the anathetist on the otherside of your head. Also if for some reason the epi/spinal doesn't take everyone may be shuffled out quick as they knock you out with a general which for some hospitals sees the departure of your support person - on top of what the other ladies have mentioned this could also be distressing for the children.

Also so you know I spent my first c/section spewing as my blood pressure fluctuated with the spinal and didn't balance (lower pressure equalled queezy and spewing) - again you'd want to think about these extra things that might happen "up the head end" and how an unwell mummy might affect your children. Also the smells and sites of theatre are much more overwhelming than the videos if you know what I mean.

Of course no harm in asking and even asking for the reasoning if the answer is no so you can "determine" the validity. There may be scope for your children to be in recovery with you immediately after (again will depend on hospital policy since some don't even allow support partners and babies there either) if that would be a compromise for you.

I think it's really lovely that you want your kids to be part of your new bub's birth...but unfortunately I don't think they'll go for it.

It's hard enough to get approval for a second adult in theatre, I can't see them coming at a child, let alone two. Their lawyers would have a coronary at the legal implications of having kiddos in there no matter how mature or well behaved.

You can always ask, there's never any harm in asking. If they say no, you'd probably have a good chance of getting them into recovery as a compromise. That would definitely be worth a shot.

All the best for a wonderful birth.

Ha jaspen snap!

Im having a c/s on the 1st of May and i asked to have my 13yo daughter there aswell as DF and they flat out said NO only one person in the room with you.
    I guess with a c/s there are so many people in the room in the first place that theres just not enough room for two people.

There will be about 6 staff in the room so I very much doubt they would let more than 1 support person in there with you. With all that staff and equipment there is not a lot of room.

Thanks for all the responses - doesn't sound like a scenario that will happen. I would love my children to be present at this birth - mainly because they were involved with the sadness and loss of their little brother (39 weeks) - and I want to give them some joy if that makes sense. I will look into having them very close by and able to share the moment as soon as possible after the c-section - but I will definately still get my Ob's views on this - he is sympathetic to our situation. I don't want to stress the kids out or create more trauma for them, so will see how we go........ got a little while to think about it.

Thanks again.

Lee x

Sorry, but I doubt it will happen. You are genrally allowed to have one person in the room with you and thats usually your partner. They sit at the head of the bed with you and there is usually a curtain or sheet up so you can't see the operation itself. My husband at my elective c/s (only 4 weeks ago) got to see the baby being pulled out and then he cut the cord. He said it was very gruesome, so I would suggest it wouldn't be ideal for your kids to see this, as the curtain isn't very wide so they have the chance of viewing it. You might be better off asking if your kids can wait to see you in recovery after you have been stitched up. Goodluck with it all