thread: Positive elective c/s stories??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Nov 2005
    Langwarrin. Victoria
    1,654

    They don't like painted nails in surgery because they can't get accurate readings through the O2 monitor that they clip to your finger if there is nail polish in the way....even clear nail polish affects the reception. Also if there is chipping of the nail poilish etc it can pose a hypothetical infection risk ......

    Fingernails definitely need to be polish free.....toes can possibly be negotiated depending on who is doing the operation etc....

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Apr 2008
    Brisbane
    157

    Thanks melbel! I think I'll just suck it up and have naked toenails. Don't want the medical team to flip out over my bright red toenails And all going well I'll be able to reach to paint them again soon after. Oh how novel that will be after all these months!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Add aussienic on Facebook

    Feb 2005
    Boyne Island
    6,327

    I have had 3 very positive C/S. One tip. When you go to recovery ask them to semi sit you up and put oxygen on. With my last c/s the recovery nurse did this and explained it helps the epidural go out of your system faster and it did. I had feeling back in under 2 hours and was able to stand after 5 hours.

    If you have any other question feel free to ask..

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Dec 2006
    Out of my mind. Back in five minutes...
    3,304

    The BT that the hospital will do are, I think, for blood type and cross match must be done within 24hrs of the surgery, by the hospital. You cant get them sooner, cause I asked. They are different to what your OB will test for.

    I had a spinal, with an epidural. They put in the epidural jic there was an issue with the spinal. And remember that you will be out of pocket a bit for the anesthetics...

    I think that we need to remember that while we have had positive section experiences, some people find themselves faced with a section that they were not expecting and it can be quite traumatic for them. I still try to be a bit sensitive when discussing them...

  5. #5

    Dec 2005
    not with crazy people
    8,023

    Ive had 4 so have had both good and bad.

    My best c/s was with Mini me...c/s number 3. I was booked in but went into early labour a week early. 2 hours later a very groggy maz was ringing family in recovery to tel them that a little girl had entered the world

    I had a GA as my spine wont allow an epi or spinal needle in. I# hours after her birth I was up, showered and ready to go . I had absolutely NO PAIN!!!! I felt like I had gone to sleep and woken up and all of a sudden there was this baby. I never had any pain in my tummy area at all. No pain relief was needed. I was on a high to say the least.

    With my other 3 c/s I have been awake and back up walking around within 3 hours of having my babies. Ive never really needed pain relief after that 3 hour mark and I was fully mobile again. I remember bathing Mario (ds2) 4 hours after having him.

    I think a great team and doctors who listen to you help. Not all c/s end up happy ....no even if we go into them thinking the best. Its wondeful to hear such positive stories about fantastic and enpowering c/s's...but please dont think that if yourve had one that your next one will be just as fantastic. As every birth is different so to are c/s and peoples reactions to their c/s is also the same. Ruf said it perfect.....you still need to be sensitive to others births. Dont be affraid to tell your 'team' what you want...even though its a c/s make a birth plan that you'll be happy with.

    OH an for the nail polish thing..I ahve gel over the top of my toe nails (like gel finger nails) and I could leave it on as its only an emergency I was told that the beeper thing gets put on your toe's.

    Blood tests for any op are done 24 hours prior to surgery so you'll more then likely get your referral soon.

    Good luck hon

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Apr 2008
    Brisbane
    157

    aussienic - thanks for the tips for recovery. It's all the little details that can make a big difference aye?

    rufalina - I didn't intend any of what I've written to be insensitive to those women that have had a traumatic c/s experience. After a very traumatic VB I do understand that things don't always go to plan and I feel that I have prepared myself (as much as it's possible to) for the fact that this c/s may not be the positive experience I'm hoping for. However, as I stated in my first post the whole purpose of me asking for positive c/s stories was to get some balance as I have read and heard about many negative c/s births. I guess I thought this was the place to discuss such things, and why I was careful to put 'positive c/s stories' as the title. Out of curiosity, what was it I said that you read as being insensitive?

    To any ladies out there that have had an unexpected/unwanted/traumatic c/s please don't think I'm not sensitive to your experiences. The truth is in fact the very opposite which is why I requested some positive stories to help me reduce the anxiety factor for me going in to a c/s.

    In my humble opinion we need to be very careful not to keep certain topics almost as a 'taboo' because of the risk of upsetting others. I would be horrified to think that someone that had had a wonderful and empowering VB felt she could not share her experience for fear of being insensitive to someone like me that had a very traumatic VB. And in my mind, the same goes for c/s. I know this can be a very controversial topic as emotions are raw for many women surrounding disappointing births. Something I have first-hand experience with.

    maz - I hope to be up and moving as quickly afterwards as you were! That's pretty remarkable considering you have to have GAs. And maybe I'll ask about the toenails at my next appt

    I'm going through the public system so maybe things are done differently with the blood tests? I'll check with the midwife at my next appt.

    Thanks for all your comments. And keep the stories coming!

  7. #7

    Dec 2005
    not with crazy people
    8,023


    In my humble opinion we need to be very careful not to keep certain topics almost as a 'taboo' because of the risk of upsetting others. I would be horrified to think that someone that had had a wonderful and empowering VB felt she could not share her experience for fear of being insensitive to someone like me that had a very traumatic VB. And in my mind, the same goes for c/s. I know this can be a very controversial topic as emotions are raw for many women surrounding disappointing births. Something I have first-hand experience with.
    Im sorry if I come across as saying to keep them taboo, it snot what I ment at all...but you wouldnt go up to a friend who you know had a terrible c/s were her baby /herself almost died and say something like

    I dont know what all the fuss is about, my c/s was a piece of cake

    Thats what I mean about tact factor hon.

    Im all for telling it as it is hon and if someone has had a truely empowering c/s then I want to hear it .

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Apr 2008
    Brisbane
    157

    Ahhhh, ok. So were you mentioning the sensitivity thing for me to keep in mind for after the c/s? Sorry! I have baby brain Just trying to figure out how or if the need to be tactful about our birth stories relates more to a c/s than a VB?

    What I'm about to say could get me yelled at but here goes...it seems to me that there can be a bit of an attitude out there (not directing this at any of you that have posted in here) that a traumatic c/s requires more compassion/sympathy/tact etc than a traumatic VB. Shouldn't every birth story be treated with sensitivity and seen as a unique experience for that woman? And the way that the woman feels about her birth be what dictates how we respond to her and her story? I think it's really important for a Mum to feel heard and to have the opportunity to talk/work through her experience and for her to be responded to in a sensitive manner regardless of the 'mode of birth'.

    I also think it's important that this is seen as a separate issue to what my original post was about, which was me seeking some balance regarding c/s stories
    Last edited by Jandals; February 20th, 2010 at 12:37 PM. : sp