thread: Questions to ask my anaesthetist..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jul 2010
    Traveling or planning a trip... ; )
    708

    Yes, it is planned unless I go early.. I am more scared about the first needle. Not too bothered about the big one. Lmao. I am petrified I will become anxious before it even happens. So hoping he can give me something for that. Thanks for all your responses. ; ) I have copied them onto a word document and will be bringing them with me. Apparently, he is the guy to ask re nails and nailpolish ect.. So hoping that I can indulge and get a pedi before I go in and keep my gel nails. Fingers crossed.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Feb 2005
    Sydney
    2,597

    Hon the first needle is nothing, just like a little ***** when getting a needle in the arm or blood test really, its the spinal or Epi that takes longer, it depends on your weight etc, for me as im overweight, it takes a while, and its uncomfy sometimes and gives your funny feelings, but doesnt hurt, its hard to explain, like when you hurt your funny bone on your elbow?

    ETA : focus on the baby hon, just think in 1 hour or less you will be holding baby in your arms while they stitch you up!, I got to hold my girls the whole time also remember the anethetist is beside you the whole time too monitoring you.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    ★ nor here nor there ★
    4,134

    It isn't that bad, there is quite a bit of pressure when it goes in and it is uncomfortable, but you are given a local first, pity I had a contraction as he was doing mine, and I should have said something and I slightly moved, but got through it ok, holding onto DH and the Assistants hands. It was pretty quick to work, and it was just a warm feeling, but I found it bizarre people moving my legs around afterwards and all I wanted to do was wiggle my toes and move my legs and once in recovery I was constantly trying to move again

    I looked at the floor and just focussed that it wouldn't last long

    I only spoke to the Anaesthtist just before I went into theatre

    You will be fine

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Jul 2009
    1,973

    I didn't have a C section but i did have a spinal to remove the placenta afterwards..I was terriefied of the needle but it was nothing like i thought, they cleaned the area, had me siting and leaning against someone ,they cleaned it, i felt a cold chill from it, i felt a tiny ***** which was the needle that would numb the area then i felt nothing, i was over ,then they helped me to lay down on the bed , I was so scared before hand of the needles that i almost went for the general , but im glad i didn't know as i was no where near as bad as i thought

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Feb 2009
    Brisbane
    1,070

    TBH, I wouldn't have thought there was that much to ask the anaesthetist. Just ask him to explain how the procedure works, how long you wil have no feeling etc. All the stuff about holding the baby is more up to the Ob performing the c/s than the person stopping the pain. I think it is good that you are meeting them though, it means you will know who you are dealing with rather than doing introductions when you are about to have surgery.

    I agree with the other girls re having the spinal. I hated the idea of a needle in my spine, but it really wasn't that bad. Like Beema, I hated not being able to move my toes and legs for ages after bubs was out though.