Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it really that bad having two c/s close together?

Default Is it really that bad having two c/s close together?

I'm not pregnant & not intending on TTC for a while yet, but wondered how bad it is having two c/s close together. How close is too close? Does it matter if you've already had two previous c/s?

The reason i ask is that we're thinking of not botering with contraception. Seeing as Juliette was an IVF bub & Zander was miracle boy, conceived just before starting IVF, we thought it wasn't worth bothering with the expense etc of using any contraception. But should a little surprise bundle appear, is it really that bad to be under the recommended 12 months. If the risks are too high, we will use contraception for the next however many months. I am exclusively breastfeeding, so that would have some impact too I guess.

If it helps at all, my sister has had four c-sections in four years, the last two were nearly exactly a year apart. She had quite bad bruising on the last c-section though, but she seemed to handle it ok. I've never actually seen bruising like hers though, so it was a little scary..

Oh wow, bruising from th actual op? They must've been rough with her.

Yeah thats what I thought, but they weren't in a hurry or anything, and it was the same doc, I think its just her tummy had taken all it could take without proper recovery if you know what I mean??

Sarah - I asked my OB about 'another c/s' and she said to give my body 12 months off between pregnancies which effectively allows for up almost two years between c/s, but she said if it happened earlier we would just deal with it and determine approrpiate course of care for me (BTW im NOT ttc or thinking about it just yet but I wanted to know my options JIC I had a suprise..).

Sarah, I asked my ob the same thing at my 6 week check and she said to wait 6 months. I was surprised as I was expecting to hear at least 12 months. We aren't bothering with contraception as we want another and J was a miracle bub so I don't know if/how long my body and endo will keep me waiting for number 2.

LOL I didn't even think to ask.

I'll be holding out to see a pregnancy announcement from you now Sarah....

Hey Sarah, someone I know was pregnant again 3 months after her first caesarean and her body handled it just fine! Her second was born my maternal assisted caesarean. Wouldn't it be nice for you to get a little surprise

Well... I had my first boy on the 23rd december 06, and fell pregnant december 07 (we actually conceived this one on his first birthday)
    Hospy dont want to let me trial a vbac, so they want to section me.

I guess (as with anything!) alot comes down to the individual...general guidelines are that a gap of at least a year is optimal but I have a friend who's had three c/s in 4 years - and she hasn't had any dramas. She is very overweight too which could put her at higher risk but she's recovered well each time and no problems in the following pregnancy.

As soon as you're not worried about getting pregnant though...you know you will don't you

My family friend had a 3rd c-section when her 2nd boy was 17 months old and she got the all clear before leaving the hospital (yep all clear in the 1st week) that she can have a 4th if she wants to.

My OB is happy for me to try for a VBAC and there will be nearly 19 months between to two so I don't see why there would be an issue with another c-section. I was getting told when I was trying to prevent the first c-section due to my breech bundle that I would only need to wait 12 months between deliveries (which I did double check) but that was what they said so check with the OB. Alternatively - what are they going to do about it if it is sooner rather than later

M ichelle, i wonder why there is a difference between you and i
    I was told that under no circumstance will they let me VBAC... but hey... i can always refuse medical treatment!

Sarah, sorry for going a little off track here.

Mummatotwo, I am really disappointed in the Gold Coast Hospital that they wont allow you to VBAC with less then 24 months between births. I know it's a little further out for you, but have you tried calling Logan or Redlands to see what they say? Or even Tweed? It's not really too far away these days with the Tugan bypass.

paradise lost Guest

Sarah i have an aquaintance who just had a VBA2C 11 months after her last c-section. It was her first vaginal birth, 14 hour labour, no drugs, no tears, no dramas. She had to have CFM but her waters had broken so they put the internal one on bubs and she could move about and use the shower and everything. And that's in the UK, pretty much just as scalpel happy as Aus.

The question is not "is it going to be a drama?" but "Is the medical profession going to TURN it into a drama" And THAT depends on your caregivers, who you can ditch and replace if you need to. You'll be right hun, given your fertility issues of the past, if you get a little surprise bundle then it is MEANT to be and the (*counts in her head*) FIVE of you would be fine.

Bx

Ok so I think I'm confused, is it 12 months between deliveries or 12 months from delivery to pregnancy?

paradise lost Guest

In the UK it's MEANT to be 15-18 months between deliveries, but as my woman found, it depends on the Ob. She got the same ob for her 2nd section and her VBA2C and he said "what would it be saying about my surgical skills if i didn't let you try for a VBAC?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast