Thread: reasons to have a c-section..

mizzsocial Guest

Default reasons to have a c-section..

My back has been really really sore, to the point where last night i couldnt move off the bed without assistance.. therefore im going to see a doctor tommorow about it..

I have a 15 month old son, that i have to lift in and out the car and around everyday, and 30 weeks pregnanct, so i guess ive done some damage to my back which is causing the pain..

Im soooo scared of going into labor and having a natural labor with my back the way it is now. especially since when i had Jake i had back labor..

Im wondering if i should start to think about asking or requesting a c-section if my back isnt any better by the time im ready to deliver...??

What are your thoughts on this??

Also, im going through public, so i dont think i can accually request anything.. is that true?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'd wait to get a medical opinion - I hurt my back badly with Marisa - I was in a car accident years ago and it made it worse to the point that when we had gone shopping, I froze up in pain and couldn't move, I was crying - went to the doctor and was prescribed some Panadeine Forte. Only took them when I REALLY needed it, but things got a little better where it was managable and I had a vaginal birth. Standing and sitting but more pressure on your back, perhaps you should rest a bit more too. I would get down on my hands and knees sometimes and it took lots of pressure off my back, if I didn't want to lie down.

Induction is much better than a caesarean, even though you will be more likely to have a caesar with an induction, but still I would wait until you speak to your doctor and get in to see a therapist of some kind - an osteo would be ideal depending on the problem.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Just made two Caesarean articles live on the main site for the updates if you are interested, http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth .
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

mizzsocial Guest

Thanks so much for replying..

If i can just ask 2 more questions..

Why would an induction be better than going into normal labor?

And, if i had an epidural, would this stop any pain from my back area???

I really want to have a normal birth, but im just scared of the back pain/pressure being too much to handle..

An induction is better than caesar not a spontaneous vaginal birth, but you would only want to do down that path if your back is a great problem.

I found when I laboured I had no back pain at all which was ironic! It's just best to go in there with an open mind - you may find your back isn't a problem at all and you may not even need pain relief! The body is an amazing thing.

Any amount of labour is better for the baby - those contractions help to prepare their body and lungs for the outside world. So if you can give it a go, even if you decide on a caesarean, wait until birth and make the decision then.
    Kelly xx

mizzsocial Guest

Thanks so much.. i read that article on whats involved in a c-section, and if the recovery is longer than a normal birth, then im better off just going through the pain of a natural delivery and recovering quicker, instead of the otherway around.. considering ill have a toddler at home to look after aswell..

I'm not being biased here but I tell you, to get up after Elijah's birth right after he was born and have a shower as if nothing had happened - it was just a bizarre but very wonderful feeling! With Marisa I was on the drip and had an epidural, so I was stuck on the bed, after the birth I tried to get up for a shower and collapsed because my legs didn't have full feeling yet (lucky John caught me!) and had to be wheeled around in the wheelchair for ages feeling sweaty and bloody. But to go through labour and feel like you have nothing left only to get on up and have a refreshing shower - it's GREAT! Not to mention not needing the help to pick up my baby and do what I wanted to without having to think about it. Plus all those aches and pains go away instantaneously after the birth and hormones can then weave their magic
    Kelly xx

I had the worst back ever during pregancy no 2. I have always had a bad back though, and it got so bad this time that I couldn't walk. Started seeign my fabulous chiro at about 25 weeks and saw him twice a week for a few weeks and the pain eased. I had a 1 hour and 54 min labour and credit this totally to my chiro (he uses the gun thing, not manipulation). I also used a TENS machine on my back during labour. I was still sooo scared about labour thinking my back would play up, but infact I had NO pain in my back (highly unusual, all my period pain is in my back).
    i did question having a cs because of my back, but was pretty much told that many women with bad backs give birth.
    I would really consider a good chiro (who uses the gun) and maybe try the TENS machine!
    Good luck xo

Melody Guest

I second the Chiro suggestion..... I waited far too long & didn't go until my 7th month (of agony) & after ten minutes a week I had a new lease on life (so to speak)

mizzsocial Guest

Thanks for the replies..

Whats a TENS machine?

TENS is sort for: Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.

It's a hand held machine that sends electrical impulses into the muscles and nerves to help to block the pain signals. You stick the pads onto your back and when you're having a contraction push the button. It doesn't take the pain away but makes it more bearable and also helps the body to create endorphins which are your own natural pain releivers.
    I've used TENS with both of my births and will use it again for this one. Only drawback is you can't use it in the water so if you want try the bath or shower it has to come off.

If you do a google search there is heaps of info on them.