thread: recovery 2nd time around?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Sydney
    217

    Hi danielle,

    I will be having my 3rd c/section in May and i can tell you that second time around i healed much much faster (hopefully 3rd time will be even easier )

    It was a much more pleasant expirenece the second time round also because you know what to expect

    I have to have a ceasar because of type 2 diabetes and bubs weight also,DD2 was 4.990kg

    I dont know why they didnt give you pain relief right away thats ridiculous,i got morphine tablets as soon as the spinal wore of along with tramadol and nurofen
    so make sure you demand your pain relief

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jan 2005
    sunshine coast
    524

    lol danielle i know the undies are a real turn on!

    i went for an elective with my 2nd cause they said she would be big (though looked small compared to the first but was 10lb) i also had gestational diabetes with my 2nd

    yeah my first was a suprise at 11lb 4oz & she was 58cms long - i laboured for so long that there was no way she was going to come out

    i had my first at RBWH & my second at Nambour general - they were both great but i was never offered the epi as pain relief the first time & it was hell - only drawback is you are stuck flat on your back & relie on midwives & family to help you but made for such a better recovery

    good luck

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    Southeast Qld
    216

    so I am certainly not the only one having to have surgery from big babies?

    I am not sure if I will be doing the right thing by having another c section, but the baby certainly does look big again if not bigger, and the Obstetrician is worried of me labouring with such a big baby apparently alot of the time labour fails to progress with big babies and you end up in emergency theartre anyhow. He is also concerned about the way my scar looks, its so stretched swollen and sore, and I have done my hip in too at 25 weeks which could become a concern labouring with a big baby. I want to badly give birth vaginally but am beginning to think like everyone else that maybe its in my best interest for the baby and me to have an elective c section again. If I do go ahead with it I will have him here in like 2 weeks, they want to take him at 39 weeks, Im not allowed to go overdue from my previous c section and the pressure on my scar especially with such a big baby.

    I really feel like a bit of a failure from having a c section the 1st time around and probably even more so this time, but when it comes down to it knowing that I do have big babies, I really dont think I would be able to birth a baby that big, my cousin ended up brain damaged from being stuck in the birth canal for too long from a similar situation, it really just scares the hell out of me. But then again so does having another c section because my 1st one was horrible, I have to be brave and get through it for my new baby and my family, its so hard having 2 weeks to stue over it!

    How did you girls prepare yourselves mentally for another c section? I just cant seem to come to terms with it. Some women say its the easy way out, but in my experience it was the most horrid thing ive ever been through.

    thanks again ladies nice to know im not the only one out there

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Sydney
    217

    Hi,

    It was never my ideal choice for me to have a c/section ,DD1 was a emergency c/section due to my high blood pressure and her head getting stuck in my pelvis.
    DD2 was a attempted VBAC so i wasnt prepared for a c/section because i really thought i could do it.But for the saftey of DD i had to go c/section after only 3 hours of active labour and its a good thing i did make that decision because she ended up in NICU for 3 days because of feeding and blood suger problms.So this time round i am not gonna fight the docters because i am a diabetic and i know bubs will get really big so forme to have a c/section at 39wks it best for me and bubs.Because the most traumatic thing for me to go through was seeing DD2 in NICU hooked up to machine and getting *****ed every minute for tests.
    What im trying to say is whether you have a c/section or not is up to you and if you dont have any medical problems and bubs is looking good then bubs being a big baby is not an issue,if you want a vaginal birth you can do that with a big baby.trust me if my only prob was that i have big babies i would have gone for a vaginal birth.Anyway good luck with your descision and whatever you decide to do in the end you will have your beautiful baby....oh yeah also there is NO easy way out of childbirth whether vaginally or through your stomach having babies is a tough thing to do

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    Just Coasting
    1,794

    Hi Danielle,

    I can sooo understand your aprehension for having another caesarean. It sounds like you had a really rough time with your recovery 1st time round. Which hospital did you have bub at? Maybe if you end up having another caesar you could talk to them about your concerns and maybe they could look at doing things differently. When I had my caesarean (which ended up being under a general anaesthetic ) I didn't have morphine for pain relief, but I did have capadex tablets (similar to panadiene forte apparently) and voltaren suppositories. I know the thought of suppositories doesnt sound great but seriously I had virtually no pain - just a little discomfort. Also my incision was closed using staples which were taken out 4 days post OP and I had absolutely no probs with the scar. Just a thin line and I was pretty much fully recovered within 3-4 weeks.

    If you don't mind me asking, how far overdue did you go with your first bub before you had the elective caesar?

    My elective caesar at 38 weeks was because I had PE and bubs head wasn't engaged so my Ob told me an induction wouldn't have worked. I have to say that I fully regret having the caesarean at that point as in reality the PE hadn't gotten to a dangerous stage and I had a really hard time coming to terms with having been knocked out. I felt like I had no birth experience and it also seems a bit weird to me that I haven't even got a clue what a single contraction feels like.

    I will be attempting a VBAC for my next baby as I don't think I could handle it if I had a caesarean and had to get knocked out again. I am going to tell the hospital that I want to allow myself to go a week overdue and that I will be happy to have daily monitoring to ensure that bub is still completely healthy. Maybe that is an option you could look at and at least if you don't go into labout by 41 weeks you'll know that perhaps a caesar is mean't to be.

    Also you can do things to make you caesar a more pleasant experience such as ask for skin to skin with bubs while you are in theatre and while you are in recovery. Also if you're keen you could ask them to take down the screen so you could see bub being delivered.

    :hugs: Hugs to you and all the best with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; March 29th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Sep 2007
    Perth
    251

    I've never had a cs but thought I would share the experience of a friend of mine who's had three.Her first two were in South Africa and while she recovered well after the second she could never hold on to go to the loo. This time she had an elective cs in Perth and the surgeon found that her bladder had been put back in the wrong place! He was fantastic. He cut out old scar tissue and tidied it up so even though she was operated on for longer she has recovered much faster. Talk to your DR about the probs you had last time and like my friend he/she might be able to prevent them from happening again.

    Good luck

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Feb 2008
    38

    Smile

    hi there, im so sorry to hear about your recovery the first time, that was rediculous, my 1st was born naturally after 23 hours, and gas, my second was induced as the stupid ultrasound showed he was gianormous,, grr which he didnt end up being, after 6 hours, his heart rate dropped, his cord ended up being around his neck ,and as the contractions were fast and strong from being induced he was taken c-section,

    im due for my 2nd c-section.... 3rd baby. in 2 days, i have decided to go with surgery as i recoverd so well after my first , and there is only 13 months between my last one,so im not game enough to try naturally- fear of rupture.

    I personally was petrified of the pain of a c-section, i had a spinal block , which i have heard is alot better than epidural as so many people can still end up feeling through it..then have to be knocked out,
    the spinal block makes u numb for 2 hours, then provieds pain relief for 12 hours, after this i had capadex and panadol, you can choose what you want for pain relief.( just ask for it)
    as some drugs effect people worse than others, for example, panadene forte knocks me out after one! :S

    i hope what ever you choose, is your decision in the end, i havent had my second c-section, so i cannot let you know of recovery as yet , but i was fine with my first after 4 weeks, i was back on my excercise bike... walking ect.
    make sure u rest the days you are in hospital and keep moving when at home but no heavy lifting ect.. take advantage of all help..

    good luck, i wish you the best it is such a hard decision, but let it be ures only, it doesnt matter how you get your bubby ,, you will love it just the same.


    me 21 him 27

    Patience 05-
    Kynan 07-

    and bubby girl to be born, April 1st 2 days !!
    my little april fool

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Add 1MOREPLZ on Facebook

    Jan 2008
    sydney
    2,678

    my first caesar was an emergency kidneys decided to shut down and had high blood pressure, and bub got stuck...had an epidural, and after the caesar i was soo sick epidural was left in for afew days... not good!!!
    Second bub was another caesar but this time round i also had high blood pressure again and an added bonus of pre-eclampsia i didnt have an epidural this time i had a spinal block, which is much better!!! i was up not long after it wore off as i felt dirty and wanted a shower and to be able to sit up instead of laying half down to feed bubs... my recovery with the second caesar was much quicker..
    this next bub will also be another caesar... just have to be careful with BP and pre-eclampsia again.... am also requesting a spinal again, and will also request dissovable stitches...

Similar Threads

  1. : 1
    : November 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
  2. Quiet time - HELP?!?!
    By jemima in forum Baby & Toddler General Discussion
    : 3
    : October 22nd, 2007, 08:38 AM