Thread: Recovery after Elective CS V's Emergency CS

Default Recovery after Elective CS V's Emergency CS

Hi, I have heard that the pain and recovery after an emergency CS can be harder than if you've had an elective CS as your body has laboured. Is this true? How was your recovery after an emergency CS?
    My recovery from my elective (geez I hate that word!) CS was pretty good so I am just wondering if I attempt VBAC and end up having an emergency CS will my recovery be harder?

my first was an emergency, i had the epidural in for 5 days post caesar and my recovery was LOOOONGG, second was an elective and it was SO much better, i was up as soon as i had full feeling back in my legs from the spinal block, this time round is also elective, am looking foward to a quick recovery

I had an emergency c/s at 9.20pm and was up having a shower the next morning. I stayed in the 5 nights but was moved to a normal room after the first night and had no real problems getting in and out of bed. Once home, I was walking up to 3km a day at 2 weeks and did a 4.5km fun run at 8 weeks.

The main thing that I think helped me was pre-natal pilates which helped strengthen my core muscles and major muscle groups so that they were able to compensate for my cut stomach muscles.

My first (emergency) was at 9amish, because my kidneys shut down and labour hadn't progressed and bub was stuck. I was stuck in bed with the epi in for 5 days, not a very good ordeal at all.

My second, was elective but it was at 9pmish and i was up & out of bed by around 2am having a shower etc...

Second time round was ALOT better recovery wise and i hope this time round is even better.

I was emergency c-section at 9.30pm after 15hrs labour, and was up the next day having shower and only recall having 1 regular panadol tablet at home. I recovered very quickly and with no hassles, pain etc. Never had issues holding bubs etc. I think its just luck and how your own body copes with these things.

Smile

Hi Spice,
    I had an emergency C/S after 17 hrs of labour, DS was born at 9.34 pm. I had a spinal epi so there is nothing left in, I get the injection & that's it. I was up the next day & only on ponstan & panadine forte/panadol regularly while in hospital. I was out after 5 days (mainly because my milk hadn't come in yet) but in that time I was able to hold the bub. I know if I go for round 2 I want to try a VBAC.
    I would suggest you think about if you want any painkillers during the labour process because that may have something to do with what they use when you go under and what the hospital policy is.
    GL with your decision

I had an emergency c-section in the late afternoon. I was out of bed the next morning and left hospital 2 days later.
    I had voltarin and panadine forte at home but I on;ly took them for a few days.
    I think I recovered pretty fast.

If you have a VBAC you will be able walk out of the delivery suite up to the maternity ward pushing your baby

My first was and emergency c/s after 22 hours of labour and failure to progress.I had my c/s at 230am and was up showering by 10am that same morning and home the next day. My second i tried for a vbac and only to get so far again in labour, they wanted to send me home but i refused and told them to put me on the c/s list and was in at 330pm after having contractions for 9 hrs then nothing for 6 hours. I had an epi with the first and a spinal with the second. I couldnt get up till the next morning with number 2 and was in alot more pain after number 2 and had alonger stay in the hospital.

Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for your replies. I was very worried that an emergency CS would be much more painful but you have squashed my fears. My recovery from my last CS was pretty good so hopefully my recovery will be the same if I need to have an emergency CS next time. The pain relief I had was pretty good. Voltarin suppositories for a few days (I know it doesn't sound great but they worked really well) and capadex tabs.
    Dachlostar, Fingers crossed that I can walk and wheel my bub out of the delivery suite but I have to accept that a cs is a posibility too