My first was an e-c sect - I was in hospital for five days, prescribed time but then home and hubby was at work from 13:00 to 23:00 each day. I could pretty much do everything I wanted to with no pain. I didn't drive for the six weeks but could have no problem. DS also a c-sect but home at 3 days - this time I had mum at home to help but if I hadn't had a toddler that needed lifting I would have been fine.

Personally I think if is looking after just you and bubs - I would give it a go, I can't think of anything worse than having to be in some one elses house for that first bit unless they are there to look after your every whim but even then I would find it awkward as am a very independent person.

Can you just decide at the end of your hospital stay? In your situation I would try stay in hosp as long as you can (in public I went to c-sect was 4 days)