Thread: second time round c/s

Red face second time round c/s

hi
    i had an "emergency c-section" with Madison as i only dilated to 2cm after 11 hours and my contractions were all over the place, i was also induced as my waters broke and nothing happened. I am now over 40 weeks pregnant and i am going into hospital on Thursday 20/7, to have an ARM, however if they carn't do that then it will be a c/s.
    This baby is prostier (spel) so i think i will end up with another c/s unless this baby comes in the next 48 hours, what is it like having an c/s second time round, is it easier?

Hi - I think there is another message thread about this topic - not sure how to find it though. I had an emergency CS the first time after being induced didn't work and was told they would not induce a second time and I had an elective CS.

I was calmer during the birth the second time, I knew what was going on, but the day after was horrible, I didn't recall the pain from the first one. Even so, if I was having more children and they had to come out that way, I'd do it again in a second.

Barb, You poor thing. I think you are referring to the post that i started about repeat cs. It was great that you were calm the second time round. Sorry that you felt more pain the second time though. Do you think it may have been due to the fact that you had already been cut open in that area? Just a thought. Did you get cramping at all after. I had contractions in the afternoon when i had my cs, and it was SOOOO painful. Perhaps this was happening to you?
    I am actually more scared at the thought now of having another cs. I think its because i know what to expect, whereas last time i didnt know what i was in for!! I had alot of faint feelings, couldnt breath at times,ewith ringing in the ears, and felt like dying. I am scared this will happen again.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

How come they are only 'allowing' you to go 5 days post dates? Is there another reason for them to be concerned? First births are often very different to the second, you may find that if your waters are broken it will be completely different, but the problem is, often they will only give you a short time for your body to kick into gear for labour - and it does take a long time sometimes, around 10 hours even. It's so last minute and I am sure there is nothing that someone can say to quickly instill you with confidence, but what I will say is this.

* It will more likely be a failed induction if baby isn't quite ready.
    * Baby will have less time to turn if induction is sooner than later.
    * Because you have had a caesar, they wont use any other methods of induction so as you know, if the waters breaking can't happen due to a closed cervix or your body doesn't 'perform' fast enough to their liking, you will have a caesar.
    * The best way to increase your chances of a normal birth is to tell them you want more time (this is the tricky thing because most women at 40 weeks are over it and just want the baby!)

VBAC is successful and very safe in most cases. You can not only have a risk of uterine rupture from a VBAC but also an induction. You might like to read THIS, check out the Birthrites website and also check out optimal fetal positioning on the web to help baby get into an anterior position. There is an article on the main site and stickies in these forums. You will have to do a cram session, but I guess it all comes down to: what do YOU really want? If you are motivated to have a vaginal birth, then you will need to exercise your rights a bit more If you want a caesarean, then you'll likely get one with the scenario being set up for you.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Kell Guest

Molly was an emergency c/s and Will was an elective. I found the second much easier, but i know this is not always the case. I guess i knew what to expect. the op was worse as i was awake the whole time and it felt yuk, with the emergency i was so tired i fell asleep , but the recovery with the second was faster and easier (maybe cause i was just anxious to get home )

I think it's great that they're letting you have a vaginal delivery. From what I've read, a vbac is usually something you have to fight for!

As for the posterior baby.. the spinning babies website has great info too to get that baby turned around!

Good luck with everything. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

No-one should be 'let' to have something though, tells you something about the power that goes on and lack of trust of a woman's body. They may be 'letting' her have an attempt at a vaginal birth, but they are also not allowing her body to do what it does naturally and increasing the chances that she will need more intervention by starting labour themselves. There are hospital policies, but they are not laws. Some if it not even evidence based. Why do we find that outrageous and shocking?! Doesn't mean you have to be dictated to and comply without asking questions or saying no, which lots of women do think. There is a major lack of trust in women's bodies by not only doctors, but women themselves because of the way the birthing environment has become in hospitals. Just look in the news thread where I posted about hospital errors and members who replied with their own stories over what has happened. Doesn't mean that doesn't apply to birth or maternity wards.

Sorry to hi-jack, not directed at anyone but it's just something that gets me going, the whole power issue in hospitals. They are not there to make the experience wonderful and fluffy for you. They are there to manage you and your birth with policy, procedure, tools and drugs. No trust.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; July 19th, 2006 at 11:45 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Yeah.. but I guess its a start that they're "letting" her. At least they haven't just booked her in for that c/s without question... altho.. like you said.. with the scenario being setup this way, looks likely to end in c/s anyway.

Sorry kmh! Referring to you in the 3rd person. LOL.

hey kmh
    i had bailee vis c/section and i found this time much easier to cope with and i was only in hospital for four days as i was well the only thing i was scared about was last time i was so much on drugs when they took me to therater i did really know wat was going on and i had no pain but this time i was drug free goin to get ready for threater i knew wat was going on and i felt every pain of the epi goin in and the drips going in but the best part was i was awake for the birth of my son and that was the best feeling ever